• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Transmission dilemma and noise

MangyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Hi everyone! Just joined after loitering for years. I have a 2003 Ranger XLT 4.0 SOHC 4x4 4 door Flareside Stepside? 4.10 ratio differential 5 speed manual transmission. The transmission is starting to make noise when in neutral and stops when the clutch is depressed. My transmission code is a "J" which from what little I have found is a rare M5OD-R1HD trans with a lower 1st gear ratio and better synchro's? I have also read that none of the parts from a standard M5OD-R1 will interchange. My truck has 267K miles on it and starts and runs beautifully. I am pretty sure the original engine will make it another 100K.
I am trying to source parts for this odd trans, as I am pretty positive the input shaft bearing is going south. Anybody have the same transmission behind the 4.0 SOHC 4x4? Or know of a parts source?
On my third clutch now 1st one was still good until some idiot at a lube shop put DOT4 fluid in the Clutch Master Cylinder. Second clutch went because of cheap knockoff slave cylinder. Lesson learned! I am retired now and have time to restore this truck. Thanks for any input!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Welcome to the forum!

Just FYI there is nothing rare or unusual about your transmission, it is the standard issue M5OD that came with those trucks.

That noise is not a symptom of a bad input shaft bearing. How loud is it exactly? All manual transmissions make some gear noise. A bit more in neutral with the clutch engaged is normal, a lot is not. I would be suspecting a dry pilot bearing here personally. Transmission bearings, usually the pocket bearing between the input & main shaft, will make noise in every gear except 4th while driving.

MangyRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Shran
Thank you for your input! The noise just recently got louder. I am a little hard of hearing, so I haven't noticed much, if any, noise through the gears. Only in neutral in with the clutch engaged. I would think the input shaft and the pilot would be spinning at the same speed? The clutch was done with a new pilot bushing about 30K miles back.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals