• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering front/upgrade

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
ok guys so i have a 99 2wd ranger i’m doing a 5.0 street truck build and i wanna talk suspension, i’m gonna be running an 8.8 in the rear and i found a nice setup with traction bars but now my concern is in the front, i’m looking to lower it a decent bit and improve handling, but i also need something that can support the weight of the bigger engine. i’ve been looking and the only coil overs i can find are lift kits… not what we want. do any of you guys know where i can find something with nice spring rate/damping adjustment? thanks in advance!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There are no off the shelf options for coilovers for lowered rangers.

You can do drop coil springs for 2 or 3" of drop. You can do DJM control arms for 2" of drop. Or you can combine them for 4-5". I wouldn't do the 3" springs with a heavy 5.0 as you're likely to struggle with camber and proper alignment, but YMMV.

If you want coilovers so you can play with spring rates or adjust the dampers then you're going to have to do a lot of research, measuring, and get something that you think is close enough to work without too much custom fabrication.

Ridetech has a bunch of different options and some helpful calculators for that

Anthony B22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger 2wd
Transmission
Manual
There are no off the shelf options for coilovers for lowered rangers.

You can do drop coil springs for 2 or 3" of drop. You can do DJM control arms for 2" of drop. Or you can combine them for 4-5". I wouldn't do the 3" springs with a heavy 5.0 as you're likely to struggle with camber and proper alignment, but YMMV.

If you want coilovers so you can play with spring rates or adjust the dampers then you're going to have to do a lot of research, measuring, and get something that you think is close enough to work without too much custom fabrication.

Ridetech has a bunch of different options and some helpful calculators for that
I remember reading somewhere the the chevy s10s have a very similar suspension style and can be used in the ranger with no modification if i recall correctly

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I remember reading somewhere the the chevy s10s have a very similar suspension style and can be used in the ranger with no modification if i recall correctly
I forgot about that! Good call.
It was here actually:

Still may want to use the Ridetech spring rate calculator.

There's also this (but the truck in use here is torsion bar suspension and has a different crossmember so use it as loose guidance and not a perfect example):

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals