• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loosing coolant? 95 Ranger 2.3l

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
I'm losing coolant in my 95 ranger 2.3L. I can't seem to figure out where it is going. radiator looks pretty new, oil is fresh and clean, transmission fluid looks clean. I don't see any dripping under it on dry pavement. I do have really wet carpet on the passenger side, but I don't have a smell of coolant or fogging of my windshield but there are bad rust stains on the carpet and when I flushed my radiator a few months ago it puked rusty water for a LONG time so I'm thinking it may be my heater core? I don't have smoke or steam in the exhaust, the engine runs great no misfire, no codes or CEL on, temp seems stable but if I drive on the highway for 20 minutes I'll lose a couple of quarts of water. Any Ideas?

1986RangerXL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I believe your assumption is correct. Wet carpet on the passenger side is usually a sign of a bad heater core

bmtrnavsky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215 70 r16
Finally had a dry day and I noticed a lot of water coming out behind the passenger side tire. Could it be a head gasket on the exhaust side? When I bought the truck I flushed the cooling system and it was rusty with blackish coolant. No oil in the water though.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Put uv dye in it. Fast and simple.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
oh hell no
Total Drop
nope
Tire Size
15s with moon eye flats.
My credo
Rev On The Red Line
Even faster and easier, get a radiator pressure tester. Pump up the pressure, and listen for where it comes out.
Most of the time will hear it before you see it.

If you thought it was the heater core, even easier. disconnect the heater hoses going into the firewall. Remove one, and loop the other one back to where you just removed the first one. Now start it up, run it up to temp, and if there is no leak inside, its the core.

JMF661

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Stock
Tire Size
31” x 10.5”
Sure seems like a bad heater core. Have you tried removing the heater core in and out hoses to see the condition of the core inlet and outlet metal on the engine compartment side?That could be telling.
A few quarts in 20 minutes? That is a pretty good leak.
Second on Freddie’s plan, disconnect the heater core lines and couple them together with a hose repair and hose clamps, or use one of the hoses to complete the coolant circuit. This would eliminate or prove the core as a culprit. With very little work or cost.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals