• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jet programmer FYI

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Just got a programmer from Jet. Main reason I got it was to change the tire size so my speedo is accurate. Wouldnt you know, I plugged it in and it skipped right over that part. :lame: Called Jet maybe I had a faulty unit or I missed something or hit a button wrong. :dunno: Turns out in order for this thing to work you have to have the latest software from Ford which they do every time you take it in. Now, like every self respecting man I know how to work on my own truck so it hasnt been to the stealership since the warranty ran out. Now I have to drive my truck kicking and screaming to the dealer to get the software updated to the tune of $111 plus whatever ridiculous fees they come up with to plug in a computer and hit upload. That is unless you guys know how to get this update third party. So just FYI fo anybody in the market make sure your software is up to date before you get a programmer.

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could'nt you just pull the computer and take it in.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
No

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
What a pain. I never have used any type of programmer before. I have several buddy's who have. None of them had any issues. I know 2 guys who used the Jet performance setup and loved it. They said you really have to read the instructions before you do anything. Then read them as you are updating the computer.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
They said you really have to read the instructions before you do anything. Then read them as you are updating the computer.
Yeah I did that. Nowhere does it say that your vehicle has to have the latest software from Ford. To be honest I didnt think that was ever an issue. I guess I am running Ford ME when I should be running Ford Vista or 7.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
This is for your 2000 Ranger? I just talked to a buddy who did his 2002 a couple of years ago. Part number is J2015003. Is that the one you got? He had no issues with the install. He wanted me to ask you if you alrady had done this with another type of programmer...another make.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Yup thats the one. I had a Jet chip at one point that I accidentally left in when I took it in years ago that got flashed by the dealer. That rendered it useless. But no other programmers. They did change the Rangers in '01 so maybe his software is more current than mine. I am going to call Jet to see if they can put an older version on the programmer.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
So you got the 'Software Upgrade Required' message? Hope Jet can help you out there. Let them know you did have an Jet chip in there before and let them know what happend. From what I understand they are great people there and they can help you.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
I didnt get any message. It just skipped right over the part where it has you change the tire size.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
Update: got the Ford software updated and...nothing. Still has the same issue but now its worse. Now my truck has worse power than before! Trying to go up a mountain pass is painful as big rigs pass me. Anyone know if a programmer would mess things up like that? Or do my symptoms mean I have other problems? Feels like I am pulling a trailer and it wont downshift, I have to manually drop it into 2 to get it to maintain 35mph. Before anyone mentions the sas keep in mind that I didnt have these problems until the programmer.

Edit: power loss was due to faulty throttle cable causing the throttle to only open halfway:annoyed:

Last edited:

goodie85

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo diesel
Transmission
Automatic
Just got a programmer from Jet. Main reason I got it was to change the tire size so my speedo is accurate. Wouldnt you know, I plugged it in and it skipped right over that part. :lame: Called Jet maybe I had a faulty unit or I missed something or hit a button wrong. :dunno: Turns out in order for this thing to work you have to have the latest software from Ford which they do every time you take it in. Now, like every self respecting man I know how to work on my own truck so it hasnt been to the stealership since the warranty ran out. Now I have to drive my truck kicking and screaming to the dealer to get the software updated to the tune of $111 plus whatever ridiculous fees they come up with to plug in a computer and hit upload. That is unless you guys know how to get this update third party. So just FYI fo anybody in the market make sure your software is up to date before you get a programmer.

They did my truck for free, but then again maybe thats because I used to work there.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
So i never did tell you guys the deal. Turns out the 98-00 Ranger doesn't have a speed sensor, it can't be calibrated. All they can do is select one of the pre-programmed settings that are in the ECM. Unfortunately, my tire/gear combo falls WAY outside what's available.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals