• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How many Flasher relays?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I don't remember how much room there is above the fuse block. Go and feel around. You may have to unscrew the fuse block and dangle it down to get room. Its been 2 weeks since I pulled it and don't remember exactly how its situated

Tunnermann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
You don’t have to remove the whole fuse block. The flashers just plug in like fuses
I believe one is on the back side that you can't get to without pulling the block :/
is the block screwed in, cuz then ai could just drop it and pull it out. I'm just not very good with wires and harnesses... they get cofusing.

I'll probably just swap them and wrap ir in silver tape and leave a "tail" so I can pull it out later.

? Couldn't ford find a better place to shove this flasher ?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
is the block screwed in, cuz then ai could just drop it and pull it out. I'm just not very good with wires and harnesses... they get cofusing.

I'll probably just swap them and wrap ir in silver tape and leave a "tail" so I can pull it out later.

? Couldn't ford find a better place to shove this flasher ?
Silver tape? Please don’t use something metallic/electrically conductive tape back there near all those wires.

Personally, I would prefer a different location for the whole fuse block. It’s a pain to try to work on that thing laying upside down under the dash trying to get the right angle to focus my bifocals.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm sure we could think of one! ;)
In Always replies W/ photos you can see the little screw ears that hold it on. I'm expecting with just a couple screws it would drop down enough to access the back side to replace the relay from there.
The ford diagram I posted appears to have enough harness available

Tunnermann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Silver tape? Please don’t use something metallic/electrically conductive tape back there near all those wires.

Personally, I would prefer a different location for the whole fuse block. It’s a pain to try to work on that thing laying upside down under the dash trying to get the right angle to focus my bifocals.
Yeah, that's why in the followung years they've put a little acess panel on the side of the dash, visible wirh the driver's door open.

Tunnermann

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
You're in luck, I happen to be working on my dash in my house. This is on a 93 Ranger.

View attachment 36884View attachment 36885
Hi there I managed to get it fixed

I did what was suggested, removed the 2 screws holding the fuse box amd then tilted it so I could see the top part of it.

With a flat head screwdriver I poked from underneath the relay through the relay housing. Mine didn't have that square bit at the top.

And yeah, I swapped those relays and they worked interchangebly. Just the ticking noise is different from each relay... but that's a lil' detail...a

Thanks for the help ???

bryanb

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have a similar problem on my ‘89. Turn signals work fine. Hazards work, but IF the brake pedal is depressed, the hazards stop, and the turn signal indicators are solid on, like brake lights. Bought new flashers, but still same problem.

Also! There is a small handle I can pull, that looks like maybe a hood release. If I pull it, the the whole fuse panel swings down for better? But not great access to the back side of the fuse panel.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
By '97 they went to one relay at the bottom of the kick panel. If the hazards are on, using the turn signal has no effect. Brake lights are separate.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals