• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.5L ('98-'01) Gray Vacuum line?

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Can anyone tell me what the gray vacuum line is that is broke off and where it goes to?

poondobber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I think that goes to the heater blend door. Check and see if you can switch from defrost/head/feet. You should be able to find where it connects down below the washer fluid reservoir. It goes into a ball.

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I'll give it a look this evening. I'm getting a P1506 and P0171 code. Thought maybe that was a line that would have something to do with it.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I have a 2.3. My vac line ran under/thru the engine and intake stuff on the firewall side. Was a straight shot from the the intake manifold to the vac chamber on the evap core housing. It’s ugly, but I replaced it and ran the new line over everything.

jcwhidby

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I believe that’s the vacuum line that comes from the HVAC control in the cab and goes to the heater control valve. The valve is in the heater hoses just below the breather in your photo.

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Still haven't had a chance to look at this yet. We've had crappy weather here and I haven't wanted to mess with it. Will this line not being attached give me a CEL?

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Still haven't had a chance to look at this yet. We've had crappy weather here and I haven't wanted to mess with it. Will this line not being attached give me a CEL?
I bet it could throw a running lean, MAF or O2 code… but it may not be enough to throw any codes. It’ll make the engine run poorly as it’s a vacuum leak. I’d at least plug it till you can actually fix it. Plugging it is a perfectly fine fix if you don’t care about how the AC functions.

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It's definitely throwing codes. I'll try to see if I can track it down tonight.

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I connected the vacuum line to the area circled in the pic. I'm still getting a P0171 code. I have replaced the IAC valve, the the throttle position sensor as well as cleaned the MAF. Any ideas??

bennutts

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I connected the vacuum line to the area circled in the pic. I'm still getting a P0171 code. I have replaced the IAC valve, the the throttle position sensor as well as cleaned the MAF. Any ideas??View attachment 72339
That’s the heater core bypass valve. The top part with 4 hoses is coolant in/out and heater core in out. The bottom part is a vacuum powered valve that switches between having coolant run thru the core and bypass the core. I don’t have that in my truck so can’t run out to check. Id imagine that there’s be a vac line to that valve AND a vac line running into the cab to control the heated air blend door. This is only important to diagnose proper HVAC operation.

Code P0171 is bank 1 (passenger side I think) running lean. Do a search for that code. Bet there’s a plethora of threads on here about that. Easiest fix would be a vacuum leak. Check the intake manifold for all the vacuum line ports and make sure your vacuum system is all sealed. After that it’s weak fuel pump, bad/clogged injectors, bad upstream O2 sensor, bad/dirty MAF, leak in intake ducting, PCV issues, I think exhaust leak before O2 sensors as well.

No particular order here. Easiest thing after vacuum leak is to remove the intake tube and flex it around looking for cracks.

K00lguy90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
I connected the vacuum line to the area circled in the pic. I'm still getting a P0171 code. I have replaced the IAC valve, the the throttle position sensor as well as cleaned the MAF. Any ideas??View attachment 72339
It’s on the other side of what you circled red looks like two prongs

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals