• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going to V8 swap my Ranger. HELP!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you have the money the Ford wiring harness and ECU would be the easiest way to go.

It's all about the money, Fast, Cheap, Good Quality. Pick two.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
If you have the money the Ford wiring harness and ECU would be the easiest way to go.

It's all about the money, Fast, Cheap, Good Quality. Pick two.

There is no cheap with coyote.

There is no cheap with Ecoboost

There is fast ...cheap. ..and better then good ...with a gm LS platform.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Anything is possible, but it’s a matter of effort and money. Some swaps are easier and cheaper than others. You have to decide based on your wallet and skill set. Easiest swap is another 2.3, a turbo is possible without get too crazy into things most likely. A 4.0 SOHC would be a relatively easy swap too.

I’m in the process of a 5.0 swap in mine. Purposely picked a Ranger with an eye towards the swap. Pulled the drivetrain out of a donor Explorer. Still ran into various complications. Theoretically the swap can’t get much easier than what I’m doing, but anytime you step away from factory, there can be issues. Some of mine are self-inflicted and some are the result of working on old iron in the rust belt. Just the way it goes. Not my first time down this path and each one presents it’s own problems. I did a 5.0 swap for my dad about 10 years ago. That one went rather well. Same deal as mine, both the truck and donor were carefully selected.

Did a 4.0 in my 89 Bronco II and aside from that truck having a bad habit of eating motors, it wasn’t a terrible swap and only had a little of wiring to deal with. Took a stab years ago at a 4.0 into an 88 Bronco II and that was a wiring nightmare, eventually concluded that unless I wanted to change dash harnesses or do a ton of splicing and tracing, I’d be better off just tweaking the original motor. I can do wiring, I understand it and know how to work on electrical stuff and all, but it was more of a headache than I really wanted to get into. The original motor was a 2.9 and after a bit of research I concluded that I could get everything I wanted by tweaking the motor. That and tweaking the transmission. My choptop needed the extra oomph from the 4.0 to turn the 35’s and as luck would have it that one year difference in models made the wiring considerably easier. The 88 I never planned to really lift or do anything overly crazy to.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
As I mentioned earlier, if you are required to pass emissions testing and/or inspection, you will need the factory wiring and pcm from the same year or newer vehicle. That means you will not be able to do a standalone like a megasquirt since those do not meet the govt requirements for emission compliance. What you can do varies a lot depending on what your local emission rules are.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals