• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel pump issue?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Wtf?

87 Ranger 2.9/5sp.

Wifes at her neices so i ran up town, got food, got some drinks from mcds and set out on the 20 mile trip.

Got 4 miles out of town...truck just dies. It would idle for a second...but no throttle...then stalled and nothing.

Pulled over....shut the key off, tried again, nothing but cranking but i didnt hear the fuel pump.

Called wife....got the "thats what you get for driving an ancient truck speech", and as im on the phone i hit the key and the fuel pump comes on, and i drive it back home to get the jeep like nothing happend.

Ive been driving the hell out of it this week with zero issue. When the pump did start it sounded fine.

Dont fuel pumps usually just die? I suppose it could be wiring but i would think if that was the case it wouldnt of fired back up without some intervention.

Got home, cycled the key 10 times or so and zero issue.

Any ideas??

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would suspect the fuel pump relay. It lives over there a little bit in the weather on the pass side inner fender. You could swap it with the A/C cutout relay and see if that helped. If you do that, look at the wiring plug and the relay sockets carefully for corrosion.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I would suspect the fuel pump relay. It lives over there a little bit in the weather on the pass side inner fender. You could swap it with the A/C cutout relay and see if that helped. If you do that, look at the wiring plug and the relay sockets carefully for corrosion.
I was wondering about that. I cleaned them once a few years ago but who knows

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I got home last night and it fired right up, cycled pump another 10-15 times with no drama.

When it was started i started wiggleing wires, started with the relay wires, then moved over to the drivers side fender where those big plugs are, then moved inside to the inertia switch. It never faltered a bit.

Today im gonna crawl underneath and check those connections.

It occured to me after i posted this that tbe other day i was testing my scanner (since i cant get codes from the bronco) and code 95 came up which is fuel pump related.

Im going to investigate further but doesnt that usually indicate an ECM issue?

EDIT-

Now im really confused. I read 87 doesnt have a fuel pump monitor. I have an 88 ECM...did 88 have one? Because that would explain why the codes there if 88 does have a monitor circuit...however...ive never seen 95 before even with this ECM

Last edited:

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
My 89 BII ŵould do the same. Run great then just quit. Cycle the key and eventually start again and run great. I ran with a fuel guage attached until it quit again and found no pressure. New pump.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My 89 BII ŵould do the same. Run great then just quit. Cycle the key and eventually start again and run great. I ran with a fuel guage attached until it quit again and found no pressure. New pump.
Im gonna take it for a spin today and see if i can get it to quit again.

I didnt pay attention yesterday if the relay clicked or not when the pump wouldnt start.

The cheap pump i put in is approaching 6 years old.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Take a block of wood and throw in the bed. If you get stranded again, take the block of wood and beat on the bottom of the gas tank. If the pump runs after that, bad pump.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Take a block of wood and throw in the bed. If you get stranded again, take the block of wood and beat on the bottom of the gas tank. If the pump runs after that, bad pump.
I got 2 pumps...intank and frame.

I think your dead on about the pump. Its been running great BUT...when i tested fuel pressure i got like 32 KOEO and it dropped to 26-28 running.

So the pumps not dead...but likely in hospice

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
’97, '06
Make / Model
Pontiac, Dodge
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've had frame pumps that work intermittently. In all cases it was the spade terminals hiding under the rubber boot right at the end of the pump. Cut off and replace and all is good again.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I've had frame pumps that work intermittently. In all cases it was the spade terminals hiding under the rubber boot right at the end of the pump. Cut off and replace and all is good again.
Would that cause low pressures?

87RangerXLTct

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was wondering if you ever got this problem sorted out? I’m getting the same symptoms and code 95 koeo

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ever change the fuel filter? I've had a clogged filter do that. The pump overheats, quits, and restarts after cooling down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

TRS Events

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Rick W
October Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals