• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drum brakes leaking fluid

mackm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright, I just bought this 2000 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 yesterday and had the parking brake set working on something else underneath the truck. Got done and disengaged parking brake then drove it around noticed brakes were not near as responsive as they had been. Got out and noticed fluid and smoke around rear drum brakes. Could this be from the parking break not fully disengaging or just a coincidence. *have not looked at brakes internally yet*

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
My 04 did the same thing. The RR brake cylinder started leaking really bad and ruined both shoes. Mine had sat for awhile and I assumed the seals had hardened. New brake cylinders and shoes took care of that quickly. I might suggest you take a few pics of how everything is connected before tearing it down, I wish I had.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That sounds like the brake slave cylinder is leaking to me. That is the only thing inside the drum that contains fluid. Though, it is possible the axle seal could be bad but axle fluid tends to have a distinct, sulphur smell to it.

Pull the wheel and drum in question and verify the source of the leak before you start buying parts. Be prepared to also replace the brake line from the slave cylinder to the T block on the axle. There is a good chance you will break that line while trying to loosen it in order to change the slave cylinder. Rust tends to lock the line and the fitting together and either snaps the line or twists it right off.

Also, pre-made brake lines are all but nonexistent. So, you will be making your own. Not hard if you have the tools but without and practice and experience, it may take a try or two before you get it right.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals