• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Drum brake adjuster

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
My back brakes didn't work in the snow the other day, so I decided to check them today. The left one looked like it was working but the right rear adjuster was adjusted all the way in and so tight I had to put it in a vise and loosen it. My question, is the adjuster on the right rear supposed to have right-handed threads or left-handed threads? Don't laugh but there are some parts in this drum hardware that I haven't seen before. It is a 04 FX4 with a 4.0 and manual 5 speed. That being said the adjusters were different than the ones I had in the 92 and the 85 Rangers I had previously.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If memory serves, the right adjuster is left thread. If you reassemble it and pull on the adjuster cable a few times you should see the adjuster unscrew and get longer. If you pull the cap off the adjuster you should see an "R" stamped into the end of the adjuster screw- assuming it's a Ford part. What does the one on the other side look like?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I didn't take the adjuster off on the driver side because it looked like it was working. The one on the passenger side that I had to take off because it was tight, adjusted so it was all the way in. When I got it turning again I saw it had a L on it so I knew it was left- hand thread. So it should be correct. I was thinking if it was wrong thread that could be why it was not adjusting.
Thank you

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals