• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Black screen

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Past few days when my computer sits idle the screen goes black,always before a wiggle of the mouse brought things back, now I have to turn off and back on ,What causes this and how do I fix it?

superdave1984

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
You have to turn the monitor off and on or the computer? Could be it's hibernating and not waking back up.

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Both stay on all the time, When I turn computer off to restart the monitor turns off with it.Got a fix? Thanks

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it hibernating and not waking up (maybe just turning off the monitor but i've never seen that lock up a PC) Either one will make the monitor go black and need a mouse movement or keyboard input to wake it back up. Do you know how to change the standby options? If not what OS are you running as XP and vista have a little bit different ways of getting there.

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like it hibernating and not waking up (maybe just turning off the monitor but i've never seen that lock up a PC) Either one will make the monitor go black and need a mouse movement or keyboard input to wake it back up. Do you know how to change the standby options? If not what OS are you running as XP and vista have a little bit different ways of getting there.
Have XP and no I don't know how to change standby options. This problem has just started and has been doing fine previously.Any advice appreciated

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Go to the Screen saver options. Right click on the desktop and select properties from the menu that comes up, select the screen saver tab and near the bottom (above the OK and Apply buttons) will be a button that says power or advanced (sorry can't remember exactly I'm on vista now) there should be options for when to hibernate/sleep the computer and when to turn off the monitor. I would set the hibernate sleep to never and see if the problem goes away (hibernate has always been hit and miss for me, I've only owned one pc where it always works and that's my current one)

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Go to the Screen saver options. Right click on the desktop and select properties from the menu that comes up, select the screen saver tab and near the bottom (above the OK and Apply buttons) will be a button that says power or advanced (sorry can't remember exactly I'm on vista now) there should be options for when to hibernate/sleep the computer and when to turn off the monitor. I would set the hibernate sleep to never and see if the problem goes away (hibernate has always been hit and miss for me, I've only owned one pc where it always works and that's my current one)
Thanks for your reply. I tried what you said it's already set like you suggested. Thanks

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
The next step would be to look in the same place and see what the time to turn off the monitor is. If it's not already set it to never as well and see if it still does it. If they are both set to never then it's something I can't help with (This is why I reformat every 6-12 months because little things like this pop up after a while and I have found it to be easier and quicker to reinstall than to diagnose and repair)

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, I set the monitor to never turn off, we will see if this helps.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I was going to suggest the monitor controls as opposed to Windows controls...you may have a setting within the monitor menu for sleep mode that you can shut off...or adjust...IIRC my LCD widescreen (that I don't have anymore) had adjustments for this...but older CRTs don't usually...

RangerJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well a trip to wallyworld and a new HP monitor and my issues are resolved.Thanks for the replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals