• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle Swap Question

reduvall88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok first off, I love the site, have been screwing around looking through posts on here since I was 16. I could probably search and find these answers, but its easier for someone to make a quick post, so dont flame on me to hard lol.

The story is i got a '88 ranger with the 2.3 4x4. It has the 5speed manual and the 7.5" rearend. I'm assuming it has the dana 28, but I have never checked for sure.

I picked up a 91 Explorer sport 4x4 4.0 w/ manual for 200 bucks with cracked heads that was previously running fine. Started the 4.0 swap but thats a whole new thread all together:black_eye:. The Exlorer's previous owners had put in new radius arm bushings and the ball joints are all in specs, while my Rangers are haggared.

My question is will the front axle be a direct bolt in, as far as all the bolt locations and spring perches ect..... Also is there going to be any trouble with axle ratio? Did the Explorers and Rangers usually share the same front ratio?

Thanks its appreciated, and if there is a thread about this I apologize.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.

reduvall88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
True true, I dont think im up to the challenge of doing that kind of welding, but if I can find a shop I'll do that, 7.5 is kinda weak for a 4.0. About the dana 35, I don't do much offroading, all I use the Ranger for is going camping and driving in the winter, the offroading I leave for my quads. I'm kinda a poser, but i still love my truck.

Will I have any problems with my brakes w/ the larger rear drums? Do I have to use any of the Explorers brake parts?

Thanks for the input.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if you have rear ABS then you can reuse the ranger master cyclinder. it cost me $35 to get my perches flipped on a 96 explorer axle I got for my 91 explorer (I was doing a spring over axle lift for the back), took 45 min to swap the axles. use everything on the explorer axles. you can even get some lift by using the explorer springs.

reduvall88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Sweet I really apreciate all your help, its gonna save me lots of worrying :).

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
If you use the Dana 35 you will have to have the front driveshaft shortened. It will have to be cut, reweleded and since the truck will be drivin at road speeds in 4x4 it will also need to be balanced.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
why couldn't he use the drive shaft from the explorer? he has to use the explorer transmission (4.0L swap)

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Why swap axles if you dont use it for wheeling??? Sounds like a big waste of time to me. A 7.5 will handle a mild 302...

reduvall88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
whats quicker, swapping axles or balljoints/tierod ends/and radius arm bushings? thats why i wanted to swap the whole front axle underneath it, but its sounding like more of a pain in the ass than i want. i will see how it goes, maybe just get the 4.0 up and running and see how i like it, then go for the 8.8 and stuff later, but thanks for the input guys.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
if you are using the 4.0L then you want the D35....... while the 7.5 will stand up to the 4.0L the D28 will not. and I would still do the 8.8 swap if I had it laying around.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
if you are using the 4.0L then you want the D35....... while the 7.5 will stand up to the 4.0L the D28 will not. and I would still do the 8.8 swap if I had it laying around.
He doesnt wheel it, Im not sure it would be worth the effort...

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
yeah but he might get it stuck in the snow and blow those D28 hubs. I did it with a 2.9 with 4.10's on 31's. I would see your point if he didn't already have the axles. but he has a matching set and it is not that hard to swap them in. do a Jeep D35 hub swap, and do all the nice little D35 mods it he would not be able to blow up that axle and all the mods for the D35 are cheap.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
With manual hubs I would worry about the shafts, not the hubs. In snow its very unlikely that hed break it, people have done v8 swaps with d28s and have kept the axle in one piece for long periods of time. I still say its waste of time, because more than likely your gears are different than the sploders, therefore youd have to use both axles and a chance of getting a worse gear ratio.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals