• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Abs/vss/oss speedo inop

Bronclow2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped a 2000 explorer 5.0 into my 99 ranger. The speedo and cruise are not working and it is shifting hard. The abs does work and my understanding is that the vss signal originates from there.
Live data on the scanner shows an accurate vss @the pcm. Could this be read from the oss or does it confirm that the abs/vss are working correctly?
I do occasionally have some abs codes: C1939, C1095, P0500.
My thought is the abs pump/module is bad, but the vss live data has me confused.

Thanks in advance

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm surprised your real time shows any speed data.

Unless a 4 cyl, your Ranger speed signal came from the PCM using the OSS on the trans. The 4 cyls use the GEM getting data from the ABS system.

The 2000 Expo used its ABS with a G-Force sensor under drivers seat to generate speed signal.

You now have none of the above so no usable speed signal for the systems that need it.

Solutions:

Graft in a 4 cyl Ranger's GEM

Graft in an 99-01 Expo's ABS module and G-Force sensor

Replace tail cone and probably output shaft on transmission with earlier unlier pieces that support a gear drive VSS and graft that in.

Look to a Dakota Digital abs to speed signal converter.

Last edited:

Bronclow2

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Resolved!
I figured it out last night using my oscilloscope. The abs output was not a square wave as it should be.
It was a bad abs module. Im still unclear as to why I see a vss signal but the speedo is dead, but once I swapped it everything works. When I disconnected it I lost the vss signal in live data.?‍♂

As stated I'm using all of the explorers wiring and components.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals