• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD won't engage.

CMDRyzin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Not sure if this is where I am supposed to post this but I'll give it a shot.

1988 Ford Ranger 2.9l v6 4x4
A4ld transmission with borgwarner transfercase
Truck is used but appears to be all original.

Basically I rebuilt the A4LD because it also would not do anything and now that it is reinstalled it still won't do diddly squat.

When I opened it up I noticed that the intermediate plunger/piston was damaged and torn.

At this point I thought that was the only problem (total noobie at this point).
Continued to replace everything I could from my master rebuild kit following every YouTube video and literature I could find. Took me almost a week.

After installation now it won't engage at all. (It didint before so meh)
Google and just about every post I see says no line pressure.

Except I have pressure no problem on my test gauges ranging from about 50-60psi while idling
Pressure goes up and down with engine speed just fine.

I did raise the back wheels off the ground chocked the fronts and gave it some gas in different gears but nothing. Dead.
Unfortunately all my search results net me no help

Hopefully this is just me forgetting something

The only thing I could think is that whatever ENGAGES 1st and 2nd is "not right" I have no idea what that would be. My rebuild kit came with two bands and two sets of clutches with a ton of gaskets and o-rings. If you think I'm missing something or should just check anything please let me know.

Does the lock up even lock up in first? Idk I think it's only 3-4th

Reverse/low piston? Idk what that is either.

Thanks for any future help or advice.

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Do you have enough fluid in it? Even a quart or two low will make the difference between nothing and working fine. The dipstick is kinda hard to read.

CMDRyzin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I'm relatively sure there is enough and is within the scratched markings on the dipstick while running but I can add some more and see what happens.

CMDRyzin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Well I did add some more fluid and raised the level to the top of the dipstick scratched area but still nothing.
If I put it in drive or any gear the engine acts like it will load up and rpms drop and pressure raises to 100 psi and be ready to go but nothing. No noise, no whine or anything.

Kinda suspect it could be those pistons on the side. I did replace them because the old one had torn. If they aren't working it won't tighten the bands. Of course I'm just guessing definitely a novice in this area.

CMDRyzin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
So....as I was revising my OP so that anyone who reads this would better know what's up. I came to the realization that my rebuild kit never came with the forward clutch's and forward/reverse band.
Guess I should probably check those....:poop:

Edit: looking at a diagram after the fact I suppose I never changed the forward drum clutches/bands. Guess I didint watch enough of the video or had any inkling of what I was doing anyways. Didint help the kit never had those parts anyways so looks like I'm dropping the tranny over the weekend. Yaaaay. Hopefully I didint break anything.

Last edited:

CMDRyzin

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Are you sure the transfer case is not stuck in neutral?
I mean if I put the truck in park it won't move.

My working theory is that my starting gear/clutches near the tail end of my transmission are so totally shot or that the hydraulic solenoid that controls them is in such a bad state that nothing will happen at all when I put it into drive or reverse.
The only reason I don't really know is because I didn't take apart my transmission that far because well.. I just didint know. It was my first time to take apart a transmission.
But I will say that the "master rebuild kit" that I ordered did not have those clutches or associated replacement parts because when I was "finished" there was no parts left except a spare gasket for a different tailsection of the same transmission.

bcschief

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I mean if I put the truck in park it won't move.

My working theory is that my starting gear/clutches near the tail end of my transmission are so totally shot or that the hydraulic solenoid that controls them is in such a bad state that nothing will happen at all when I put it into drive or reverse.
The only reason I don't really know is because I didn't take apart my transmission that far because well.. I just didint know. It was my first time to take apart a transmission.
But I will say that the "master rebuild kit" that I ordered did not have those clutches or associated replacement parts because when I was "finished" there was no parts left except a spare gasket for a different tailsection of the same transmission.

Then the transfer case is eliminated as a possible cause.

Joe green

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
did you take the transmission out of the truck and rebuild it or just drop the pan?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals