• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 2.3L Diesel fits...???

noakes87

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have tried doing some research on here about my question and have found some helpful info but i would like some specific answers from you Ranger Pros out there.

My buddy has an 87 2.3L diesel motor out of a ranger he is wanting to sell me, it has recently been rebuilt (motor & injection pump) also, (reliabilty and quality of rebuild not an issue becuase he is a diesel machanic) He is willing to sell it to me for $450. It needs a clutch transmission and water pump. I'm trying to find which gas, 2wd, 5-speed, rangers this would fit in with the most ease, transmission wise, because he had to scrap his truck the motor came out of.

Any info on which transmissions bolt up to this specific motor would help.
Also, he doesn't have the bell housing either. Thanks, Nick

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
you have to have that bellhousing! they're really rare. then you could fit a couple of different trannys i think. borg wagner an mitsu fm-145.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with the bell housing you have several transmissions to choose from...

noakes87

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wonder if there is a company out there that would be able to make me one, like advanced adapters, or if i need to find a factory one.

ericlerouge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 td
Transmission
Manual
more common is a bellhousing from a dodge raider with a four banger, same bolt pattern, i would look in that direction if i couldnt find the original. i'm not psitive but i think the fm-145 and the raider tranny are close cousins...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals