• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5/4 drop, rear tire width?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
I've got a 2000 Ranger supercab, regular bed, 2wd, with a turbo'd 5.0. It's on a DJM 5/4 drop, explorer axle in spring under in the rear (stock leaves and shackles).

I need some more tire in the back. I've been searching for a few days now, I can't find anyone that has really asked this, how much rear tire will fit?

Will 315's fit in the rear wheel well? What overall height are people getting away with on drivers? I'm at only 25" right now but most wheel/tire packages end up being in the 26-27" range.

I plan on running Mustang rims (because take offs!), probably will end up being s550's with spacers.

Last edited:

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
With the right offsets, I think you'd be fine with 315s.
I run 295/35/18s with a 4/5 drop:

I'm running SN95 Mustang offsets with a stock Ranger axle. I think the Explorer axle is supposed to be 0.75" wider than the Ranger axle, so that might have a small impact. Wheel offsets will probably be the larger issue. You can always pull the bedsides a bit as well if you need more coverage.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
With the right offsets, I think you'd be fine with 315s.
I run 295/35/18s with a 4/5 drop:

I'm running SN95 Mustang offsets with a stock Ranger axle. I think the Explorer axle is supposed to be 0.75" wider than the Ranger axle, so that might have a small impact. Wheel offsets will probably be the larger issue. You can always pull the bedsides a bit as well if you need more coverage.
I read your thread, are you not running spacers at all? Everyone else is saying they have spacers with the sn95 ( through 04) offset rims.

I do really like your setup, looks good. My Ranger seems like it sits a lot lower than yours for some reason. Well, the front is the 5.0... the rear, not sure. I just bought some 1.5" spacers for the front, it's a bit too low actually, and of course I already threw out the stock springs.

4 link it 😁
That's down the road. My goals are bottom 10's at some point. A lot of stuff has to change (more) to get there.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I read your thread, are you not running spacers at all? Everyone else is saying they have spacers with the sn95 ( through 04) offset rims.

I do really like your setup, looks good. My Ranger seems like it sits a lot lower than yours for some reason. Well, the front is the 5.0... the rear, not sure. I just bought some 1.5" spacers for the front, it's a bit too low actually, and of course I already threw out the stock springs.
I don't have any spacers at all. I did turn down the front hubs a bit on a lathe to fit through the centerbore of my FR500s. And I don't use a centercap on the fronts (just the dustcap for the front hubs sticks through). But centerbore of wheels varies a lot, especially since so many SN95 wheels are aftermarket. I know some people don't have any issues at all. Others use a 7/16" or 1/2" spacer for the front. Rear wheels shouldn't have any issues at all (no spacers needed).

As for stance, your truck being an extended cab also adds weight (more cab, more frame, larger fuel tank, etc). I'd still probably go with the 315s even with your truck sitting lower. Pulling the bedsides an inch or so wouldn't be too difficult and would keep a nice clean look (if you run into fitment issues at all):

Last edited:

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
@stmitch , do you have any pictures of the backside of the wheelwell? What is the limiting point of the rear tire? The springs or just the wheelwell?

Thanks for the help!

Pulling the rear fender out would probably help the look of the truck a bit as well.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
@stmitch , do you have any pictures of the backside of the wheelwell? What is the limiting point of the rear tire? The springs or just the wheelwell?
The truck is in winter storage at the moment, and I don't think I have any pics specifically of this situation. Sorry!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals