• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) 2.3 DOHC PCV

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thinking about finally changing the PVC today via Dirtman's method of removing the oil separator. Only hang up about getting into it this afternoon is my fear of needing other parts I can't get and being stuck for a while.

I have the correct Motorcraft valve I got through rock a year or so ago (EV274/6A666-BA) which is consistent with Ford parts catalog part#.

A 2010 model just shy of 161K, my concern is condition of the hose, O-ring and plastic retainer which I can't really know the the condition of until I tear into it. If the hose is soft I'd have to rig up with universal parts or fork over 50 bucks to ford while waiting.

The plastic retainer is currently on national backorder so if it's brittle I'd have to rig with tape/other.

Long winded here, but you get where I'm coming from... Basically, what is the likelihood at the age/mileage I would need to replace the pcv related parts ?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If you take the oil separator off before removing the PCV valve from it, the retainer is very easy to remove and you "should" be fine, I've reused the same retainer clip 4 times now. The plastic hoses are brittle BUT you can just replace the whole thing with 5/8" I.D hose which in my opinion is so much easier anyway. I chucked those plastic lines in the trash the first time I did mine and just use silicone line. The O-ring is not special, you don't need to buy that from ford or a parts store, grab a viton O-ring kit from harbor freight and you'll have a lifetime supply. Replace the oil separator gasket though, Mahle and Felpro both have them. I get mine on amazon.

Also at 160k and NEVER having replaced your PCV valve, clean your throttle body, intake tube, and then run some berrymans or seafoam through the intake. It's guaranteed to be nasty in there...

Last edited:

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
TY man. Took of the TB last fall, scrubbed carefully with a tooth brush and cleaner. Pretty cruddy, so I suspect the intake is even worse lmao. Can't say the PCV has never been replaced but I suspect it hasn't. Being a former fleet vehicle where all maintenance has to get approved, I'd guess it's probably a 2.0 labor job that was declined. OR... It was approved and the Firestone (or wherever) store tech said, "lets not and say we did", no one gives a s#!t and no one will ever know. Got the wheel of just looking. Mother's day comes tomorrow with 2" of rain. One other thing, there is rubber over the fender shield with 4 plastic plugs, which looks like I may have access without removing the shield (?)

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Christmas tree plugs. Easily replaced.

work2do

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got it replaced in a somewhat unusual way. Did not take out the fender shield, just the Christmas plugs holding the upper rubber portion in place. Put a bungy cord to lift the heater hose to see more clearly. It appeared so easy, I couldn't resist. You can see everything, but manuvering by sight is tough...

With the PCV fully exposed, I carefully used a knife blade several times to free the plastic retainer to no avail. I ended up using the dremel to grind under the tab to free it.

Then of course, the hose clamp was oriented in toward the block. Got it free, made sure the new valve was exactly the same before putting it in. Since I grinded the plastic retainer, still in tact I put a piece of electrical tape and a hose clamp to insure it stays in place.

No one should have to endure this on such a simple, easy to maintain vehicle.

As to Dirtman's method, it's better ! Seeing inside that oil separator tells a story of your engine. I kind of went half a$$ here and was effective. Smooth Idle now. Buying time and will further address when the heater hoses, intake, etc have to be done...

I suck at pictures, took a few in there. If they turn out okay, I'll post. You all get it. Thanks TRS !

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals