• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 4 cyl. 2.3 2wd ac issue

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Looking for some help as to where to start on my ac the ac didn't work on the truck when I bought it about a month ago. First thing I did is add a 12oz can of 134 and a little bit of another. The ac started working after I added the freon and the gauges read around 40 on the low side and I think around 180 on the high side. My issue is it seems to be working but not as cold as I'd think it should be. But the bigger issue I'm having is when I'm getting higher rpms before shifting the ac compressor is constantly kicking on and off about every second. If I let it idle at a stand still the compressor runs as should and the ac does get fairly cold after a while. I also checked the low pressure line by the accumulater and it doesn't seem as cold as should be? Should I do a recover and try and recharge the whole system? Or do you think a new orifice tube and accumulater would possibly solve the issue?

dmb2613

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Drain and draw a vacuum on it and recharge with the correct amount of Freon

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
Will do, will keep y'all posted on the results

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I moved your post to the Heating and A/C forum.

I sounds to me like the system in low on refrigerant. The symptoms you have all point to being low on charge. When at higher RPM's... the compressor can pull the low side down much quicker and takes the system below the low pressure switch cut off threshold.

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I moved your post to the Heating and A/C forum.

I sounds to me like the system in low on refrigerant. The symptoms you have all point to being low on charge. When at higher RPM's... the compressor can pull the low side down much quicker and takes the system below the low pressure switch cut off threshold.
Thankyou for the reply, will keep you posted on the results.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
There is a trick to filling the A/C system too... when you don't know how much to add. I wouldn't empty it and put the know good quantity in. There is a far simpler way.

Technically... the system is full when the evaporator inlet and outlet pipes are equal in temperature. It works every time. You can get it really close with just lightly touching the two pipes with your fingers until the temps feel the same. You would be surprised how sensative your fingers can be. If you have an infrared thermometer even better. The trick is to add small amounts and let things stabilize during the process.

Thankyou for the reply, will keep you posted on the results.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The system needs to be evacuated to get any air out before charging it, just blowing freon into it would make it cool somewhat but it's not the right way. Also, if it's low on freon there is a leak that needs to be fixed.

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
The system needs to be evacuated to get any air out before charging it, just blowing freon into it would make it cool somewhat but it's not the right way. Also, if it's low on freon there is a leak that needs to be fixed.
Thankyou for that tip! Will definitely try this when I go to recharge again

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I completely agree that there is a leak and needs to be fixed. But the only way air gets into the system if it is completely empty or the system was opened. If there was any refrigerant in the system before recharge... air will not enter the system. My truck has a super small leak and I can't find the source (yet... leaks only get worse). One can of refrigerant over the 6 years I've owned it. Next time it starts blowing warm... I will check for leaks again.

I should have been clearer with my last post on filling the system. Adding the known amount of refrigerant is not the only way to fill the system properly. Monitoring evaporator inlet and outlet pipe temps works perfectly.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I completely agree that there is a leak and needs to be fixed. But the only way air gets into the system if it is completely empty or the system was opened. If there was any refrigerant in the system before recharge... air will not enter the system. My truck has a super small leak and I can't find the source (yet... leaks only get worse). One can of refrigerant over the 6 years I've owned it. Next time it starts blowing warm... I will check for leaks again.

I should have been clearer with my last post on filling the system. Adding the known amount of refrigerant is not the only way to fill the system properly. Monitoring evaporator inlet and outlet pipe temps works perfectly.
Charging it without evacuating first pushes the air in your hose into the system.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Charging it without evacuating first pushes the air in your hose into the system.
I always bleed the hose. Again... with some pressure in the system it works every time. You also always bleed the hose connection when you connect a can of refrigerant. I believe when done right... you can prevent any air from entering the system.

Understand... I'm not saying you're wrong. He has a leak and if it can be fixed it should be. On my truck... I'm not throwing hundreds of dollars at a leak I can't find. When it starts to not cool... I'm going to top it up and search for a leak again.

To the OP... You certainly have a leak. You absolutely need to leak check it... then repair whatever you find. If you find a leak... seek out someone with a recovery machine. Recover... Repair... Evacuate... Recharge.

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
I always bleed the hose. Again... with some pressure in the system it works every time. You also always bleed the hose connection when you connect a can of refrigerant. I believe when done right... you can prevent any air from entering the system.

Understand... I'm not saying you're wrong. He has a leak and if it can be fixed it should be. On my truck... I'm not throwing hundreds of dollars at a leak I can't find. When it starts to not cool... I'm going to top it up and search for a leak again.

To the OP... You certainly have a leak. You absolutely need to leak check it... then repair whatever you find. If you find a leak... seek out someone with a recovery machine. Recover... Repair... Evacuate... Recharge.
Thankyou for the info I bought a vaccum pump and gauges, I'm going to evacuate the system, change out the orifice tube and pull a vaccum. Will check for leaks and repair if needed and recharge. I'll let you know how it goes

Amb1205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xlt
Transmission
Manual
After changing orifice tube, drawing a vaccum and didn't see any leaks, and recharging the system, to proper amount, I no longer have any issues with the ac compressor kicking on and off and ac is cold as it's ever been, thankyou everyone for the help. Also of anyone sees this post I wanted to note that I used the white cover for a roll of Teflon tape cut it to size and used that to wrap around evaporator line and pushed in onto spring connector to remove line for orifice replacement. That way I didn't have to spend money on the disconnect tool kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals