• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 Mazda b4000 4.0 rough idle and codes

callmedak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
New to the site but I’m clueless and it’s worth a shot but I’ve recently gotten a 1994 Mazda b4000 it’s got the 4.0 and automatic trans. When I got it it ran but rough and shook the entire truck at first it had limited power but it had plug wires swapped around and fixing that sort of cleaned up the limited power but still has rough idle and dies sometimes even dies when driving. the previous owner threw every part they could think of at it and still didn’t fix it. I know every sensor has been replaced and still pretty much new along with plugs/wires/ignition coil/starter/alternator/iacv. I’ve checked the codes and it threw a list which I attached and it just makes more confusion. I’m not sure what to do but suggestions would be great.
IMG_2739.jpeg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would check all your grounds, with codes like those. Should be a couple on the radiator core support, one or two under the dash... negative battery cable... etc. A lot of sensors share a common ground and I am betting there's a wire broken or disconnected.

callmedak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Transmission
Automatic
I would check all your grounds, with codes like those. Should be a couple on the radiator core support, one or two under the dash... negative battery cable... etc. A lot of sensors share a common ground and I am betting there's a wire broken or disconnected.
After looking over the truck grounds I found the battery ground was ran to one of the starter bolts with a ring terminal and it was loose as well as I found the battery power wire was half way melted I’m not the best with electrical could the loose ground really make that much go wrong?
Update- even after cleaning surfaces and redoing the ground it made no difference

Last edited:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Yeah, a missing or loose or corroded ground can cause all sorts of problems. I would pick a sensor... say the TPS maybe would be a good one. Key on, engine off you should have one wire grounded, one wire with about +5v, and one wire that will have positive voltage that varies with the throttle position.

I believe the Gray/Red wire will be your ground... check continuity to the battery negative post or the frame or engine block. Should have continuity there. If you have no continuity, there is a good chance that none of the other sensors that share that ground have a ground either thus the fault... trace it back to where it's bad.

Gray/white is your signal return, variable voltage
Brown/white is your +5v power

See the little dot on the bottom middle right above the word Engine where all the wires come together? That whole spaghetti mess is a shared ground for everything those wires go to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals