• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

03' Edge 3.0 swapped to SOHC 4.0 ( 97' Explorer Eddie Bauer)

RandoEdge03

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
My 03' Ranger Edge's transmission just fell apart on me giving me a good excuse to finally harvest the 4.0 SOHC from a 97' Explorer Eddie Bauer Edition. The Explorer received a remaned engine in 2007, had 27k put on it and hasn't been moved since (engine runs great). Before i spend the money to buy a transmission and refurbish it, I'd like to know what issues others have had on this swap.

1. The SOHC 4.0 was an option for the 03' Ranger so it should bolt right in with it's original motor mounts.
*The SOHC is coming from a top trim Explorer w/ automatic trans, 4X4, and all those bells and whistles into a manual Ranger with its only power option being steering. I don't think the ECU should have difficulty with the swap.

2. I'm deciding to keep it manual and since my 5MOD-R1 transmission won't bolt up to the SOHC, I'm hoping to purchase 5MOD-R1HD transmission and refurbish it myself. (I hear these transmissions are difficult to find due to them only being built for this engine)
*Are there any other differences between the 5MOD-R1 and the HD besides the bell housing bolts?
*Will the SOHC 4.0 and 5MOD-R1HD trans fit in my Edge with it's original prop shaft? (Just asking since the SOHC only came in extended cab rangers)

Any answers to my questions, issues I didn't mention, or overall tips on this swap are much appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals