• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. rang-a-stang

SAS, trailing arms vs. 3 link vs. 4 link

Planning out a SAS for our mostly daily driven 99% road/occasional overlanding 86 4wd, standard cab. What are the pros and cons of each of the 3 suspensions systems I listed in the title? We are not looking for max flex, we are looking for reliability, road driving characteristics, and...
  2. rang-a-stang

86 Ranger solid axle swap costs

86 Ranger, V6, 4WD, standard cab, 33" tires My son is in USMC bootcamp and when he gets home, he/we want to put an XJ High pinion dana 30 in the front of his truck. Purpose: daily driver that goes off road some times. It is currently a 2.9L but we plan to 2.3L Ecoboost it in the next 2 years...
  3. rang-a-stang

Can I get some advice? FM145 trans questions during clutch job, 86 4wd

Son and I are doing a clutch job and have come up across a few hickups. 1) Looks like this is the "Neutral sensing switch". Right? How do I get the electrical connector off? I tried unscrewing it, I tried prying on it, and I cannot get it to budge. I ended up cutting the wires to get the trans...
  4. rang-a-stang

Broken coil spacer and tired springs. What would you do?

This morning my son nailed a curb and split the leveling spacer (his words, not mine) in his 86 4wd. We do not know what coils are on this truck (stock or aftermarket). I "assume" it has stock coils and a 2" spacer lift. The rear has a lift block that looks to be about 2" and the truck sits...
  5. rang-a-stang

86 2.9 Runs SUPER rich when cold/open loop, runs amazing when operating temp/closed loop

My truck runs awesome after about 30 seconds of driving but before that, it runs like it is SUUUppppper rich. When I run KOEO or KOER I get no abnormal codes. I am not even sure where to start with this... It has a new fuel pressure regulator, just passed CA smog check about 2 months ago, and I...
  6. rang-a-stang

SOB! My hood flopped open!

Long story short, was driving along and my hood popped open. Among other damage, my hinges are bent. I see new are available on the interwebz. Looks like mine are spot welded in. True? I assume need to find/cut the spot welds, then spot weld the new one(s) on?
  7. rang-a-stang

I need just a little more caster...

86, 4WD. Previous owner installed 2" coil spacer in the front. I added Tuff Country beam drop brackets and now have my toe and camber spot on. Caster is .1" negative. Alignment tech said to fix the caster, I would need to drop the radius arm bracket the same that the beams dropped. 1) I have no...
  8. rang-a-stang

Was 2.9 ever sequential EFI or was it always batch fire?

sorry if this has been covered. I know my 86 2.9 is batch fire but am wondering if Ford ever updated it to sequential fire...
  9. rang-a-stang

86 Standard cab, can I fit 5x7's on my door without interference with the window?

I want to put a 5x7 on my door in the location I circled in red. Pretty sure I would be fine (I don't have a problem cutting/drilling) but I want to make sure the window won't touch it when I roll the window all the way down. Anyone know for sure?
  10. rang-a-stang

Is this a stock seat and cover?

This is what came in my kids truck and we love it but I have not another one like this. Is it stock?
  11. rang-a-stang

Failed smog :(

Upfront info -86, 2.9l 4wd, 5speed, bone stock engine, Cat is not original and I know almost nothing about it (bought the truck about 2 months ago) -Runs and idles like a top, passes KOEO and KOER with no codes -Air filter, cap, rotor, and wires all look new, plugs ceramics look new but I did...
  12. rang-a-stang

Having a REALLY hard time filling my tank

Bought this truck (86, standard cab, 2.9L) and whenever I try to fill the tank, I have to let it just dribble in or the pump cuts off. When I first noticed, I pulled the fill neck off and noticed the inner tube was broken off about 2 inches from the metal inner end. So I bought some 1" vinyl...
  13. rang-a-stang

Should my 86 4WD, standard cab, have 2 fuel pumps?

Mechanic said the fuel pump is bad and it's in the tank. I said the pump is on the chassis, sitting under the driver's seat (I have seen it with my own eyes). I told him I would bring it home and fix it. I went on to McParts website and it shows both an intank pump and an inline pump for my...
  14. rang-a-stang

Rang-a-stang's son's 86 4wd "build"

Hey guys! You can't have a Ranger without a "build" thread, right? I did do an introduction in the intro forum: Intro thread here Quote from that thread: Plans: ordered a set of tough country Axle arm pivot drop brackets so we can get the alignment spot on and then get it through smog. It will...
  15. rang-a-stang

2.9 Bogs off throttle, codes 41 and 25

I'm almost ready to torch this truck. Quick background: Bought the truck about a month ago, engine ran great, just needed valve cover gaskets, new fluids, thermostat, and hoses (already had all new cap, rotor, plugs, and wires). We also spent a night with some degreaser and washed 30 years...
  16. rang-a-stang

Found! Knock sensor/Connector for 2.9L

My sensor is dead dead. The connector and the socket are both broken. Anyone have a good knock sensor and/or connector laying around? My truck is 86, 2.9L. I think the Knock sensor is unique to 2.9L from 86-88 Ranger and B2.
  17. rang-a-stang

Pseudo Ranger Owner In SoCal!

Hello from Sunny SoCal! My 17yo son just bought his first truck with his own $$$$! We towed this dude down from Lebanon OR in early Aug. It ran great but needed some light TLC to get it ready for CA smog. We are almost there! It is an 86 XL, 4WD, 5 speed, 2.9L, not a spot of rust on it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad