• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Computer build... input needed!!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
4x as much, probably not; that was an exaggeration. 2-3x is a definate probability. See the example below.

I have right at $1,000 in my case and hardware at home. A comparable unit from Dell is $2,650 from Dell (I just built a comparable PC on Dell's website) and that is with a few less options that mine has but wasn't an option on Dell's website (extra hard drives, extra fans, fan speed controller, larger modular power supply, custom case).

A PC like lil_Blue_Ford's parents need, I could build for $800 with either XP Pro, XP Pro 64-bit, or Vista Ultimate. For $800 it would also include Office Professional 2007. For the exact same PC on Dell's website, it was over $1,000 including Office Professional 2007.

Not to mention that if you build or have someone build a PC, you can upgrade it in the future as your needs grow. Have you ever tried upgrading a factory build PC (Dell, HP, etc)? It is impossible unless you buy largely marked up parts from the original manufacture (Dell, HP, etc).
By your own numbers on Lil_Blue_Ford's pc, your estimate of 2-4x just went to about 20%. And while the OEM's do occasionally lock you out of non-proprietary upgrades, it's not that common. At my current and previous jobs, we've used Dell as the supplier for desktop and laptop PC's (usually HP/Compaq for server class gear). Other than power supplies, they all use standard parts you can purchase at any store like Newegg. What upgrades are you referring to that require OEM parts?

I do occasionally PC's for myself or other people if needed. Most of the time, though, I can purchase something manufactured with a warranty for about the same cost.

Post the equipment you're installing on yours vs Dell's site that was $1000 vs $2650.

Last edited:

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Post the equipment you're installing on yours vs Dell's site that was $1000 vs $2650.
My current specs:
- AMD Phenom II x4 3.0GHz Black Edition CPU(can't get from Dell)
- Gigabyte motherboard
- 3x 500GB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM hard drives
- XFX GeForce 9600GSO 1GB DDR2 RAM Graphics Card
- Sony CD/DVD Burner w/ SATA interface
- CoolerMaster HAF 932 full tower case w/ extra cooling fans
- RaidMax 730w modular power supply
- Zalman 6x fan speed controller
- Soundblaster Audigy sound card
- Windows 7 RC (previously had XP Pro & Vista Ultimate dual booted)

You couldn't get close to that PC from Dell for less than $2,000.

I am getting ready to build a new PC for myself that has very similar specs to the current one I have. The components for it cost me $750. The major difference is it has DDR3 RAM and an AMD Phenom II x2 processor. DDR3 RAM nor any Phenom II processor is not offered through the manufactures; Athalon and Core 2 Duo processors are old with what is out now.

When you buy from a manufacture a pre-built PC, majority of their mother boards and cases are prosperity to them. You can't mix and match the mother boards in their case. I have tried numerous Dell cases and couldn't find an aftermarket mother board to fit. They do it so you will have to buy from them and can't replace their parts.

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I have bought stuff from tigerdirect.com before. They sell kits from 99. up to whatever you want to spend. I was thinking if you got a barebones kit and reused all the old drives from the other computer you could save alot of money. It all depends on how much you want to spend. They sell whole computers also. If your bother wants the old computer he should be willing to put a new one together for you. I think if you call them they can help you with what will work for you. Good Luck

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The problem with using old drives is just that, they are old. More than likely they use the IDE interface which only has a transfer speed of 1.5GB per second. The SATA drives have a transfer speed of 3.0GB per second. They are much faster. Not to mention that an older drive would be more prone to fail than a new drive.

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Frys.com is a great place to get parts for building PCs or tigerdirect.com. newegg.com is also a great place.

brandonwh64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302CI V-8
Transmission
Automatic
Tigerdirect.com has the perfect system for you! for 199$ (without shipping) you get:

Apex SK-393 Black Mid-Tower Case with 300 Watt Power Supply
Biostar P4M900-M7 FE Motherboard
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 Processor
Ultra 2048MB PC5400 DDR2 667MHz Memory
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB Hard Drive SATA

All you would need after that is a decent videocard with HD DVI outputs like:

Sparkle GeForce 7300 GS Video Card - 256MB DDR2, PCI Express, SLI Ready, DVI, VGA, HDTV, Video Card

Video Card= http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3053798&CatId=1558

All other parts = http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4668536&CatId=333

brandonwh64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302CI V-8
Transmission
Automatic
By your own numbers on Lil_Blue_Ford's pc, your estimate of 2-4x just went to about 20%. And while the OEM's do occasionally lock you out of non-proprietary upgrades, it's not that common. At my current and previous jobs, we've used Dell as the supplier for desktop and laptop PC's (usually HP/Compaq for server class gear). Other than power supplies, they all use standard parts you can purchase at any store like Newegg. What upgrades are you referring to that require OEM parts?

I do occasionally PC's for myself or other people if needed. Most of the time, though, I can purchase something manufactured with a warranty for about the same cost.

This maybe true about the same components BUT they use a modified bios most of the time that doesnt allow but CERTAIN upgrades. either a hacked bios or a aftermarket bios would have to be installed to eliminate this.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
i have a dell motherboard that was pulled and it will not use but certain processors. you have to check which CPU you have and which ones it allows :(. it can handle some C2D and some Pentium 4's but not all and there built on the same architecture :(
While I've run into that nonsense with a Compaq laptop (locked me out of replacing the wireless card), I've not seen it with any Dell built in many years. Memory, hard drive, video cards, processors, it's all been generic gear.

Last edited:

brandonwh64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302CI V-8
Transmission
Automatic
i have a dell motherboard that was pulled and it will not use but certain processors. you have to check which CPU you have and which ones it allows :(. it can handle some C2D and some Pentium 4's but not all and there built on the same architecture :(

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just tried to upgrade the CPU on a Dell at work that was purchased within the last 2 years. It wouldn't boot. It wasn't the new CPU, it was the BIOS had it locked from being updated. The serial number of the original CPU was programmed into the BIOS and it wouldn't accept the new one.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I just tried to upgrade the CPU on a Dell at work that was purchased within the last 2 years. It wouldn't boot. It wasn't the new CPU, it was the BIOS had it locked from being updated. The serial number of the original CPU was programmed into the BIOS and it wouldn't accept the new one.
Sorry, but you're misdiagnosing the problem. I switch processsors between PC's at the office all the time and have NEVER seen any of them lock because it was not the original processor.

brandonwh64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302CI V-8
Transmission
Automatic
yea them and there GHEY custom bios! i downloaded a hacked bios update for a old Emachines LGA775 motherboard that would allow all CPUs up to C2D

mjonesjr

Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
That is why it locked. I had a shop that is in our industrial park look at it that I have gotten to be good friends with take a look at it and they even said the same thing. To change the CPU, I would have to replace the board as well.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, but you're misdiagnosing the problem. I switch processsors between PC's at the office all the time and have NEVER seen any of them lock because it was not the original processor.
One thing I don't like about manufactured PC's is that you can't get EXACTLY what you want... I'd like to upgrade from my current Dell's 512 MB of RAM to 1GB or better, but being that it only has two slots I would have to buy two separate sticks of RAM instead of just adding to it... I built a computer a good few years before I bought my current Dell and it had 4 RAM slots... I put in one stick of 512 MB RAM and ran it like that, leaving the other 3 open for easy (and cheaper) upgrade...

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
The board may not have supported the processor you tried to use, but it didn't lock it based on processor serial number. Again, I've moved processors around dozens of times on Dell laptops and desktops, replaced motherboards, etc and NEVER had a problem like that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals