• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

So much car debt!!!!!

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Same thought process here as several of you... My two vehicles are '94 and '99, and I wouldn't hesitate to take them on road trips. But my girlfriend is in a new-ish ('19?) CX5 and when the time comes to replace it I'll definitely look for something that's only a few years old. I like having her in a low maintenance safe vehicle. And if we're going together on a road trip, I'll still choose that over one of mine.
Last road trip we took we used the F250. It sucked getting 10mpg instead of 27 but i have no clue how yall get comfortable in these newer vehicles. Her escape the seats are hard as a rock, theres that stupid console that i prop my knee against and it gets banged around, the steering is way to responsive for my likeing,..list goes on and on.

Another reason im buying a panther. Roadtripping.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Last road trip we took we used the F250. It sucked getting 10mpg instead of 27 but i have no clue how yall get comfortable in these newer vehicles. Her escape the seats are hard as a rock, theres that stupid console that i prop my knee against and it gets banged around, the steering is way to responsive for my likeing,..list goes on and on.

Yeah ... Hard to beat riding on a couch ..

Lincoln's and Cadillacs... And broughhamz...

Yup .. nice.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t know what you consider a high rent area, but my house is worth over $500k and my taxes are just under 12k a year. This is just penny’s over average for my area.

Around here, houses average from 350K (1100 sq ft 1/8th acr. ) to 800K ( 4000 sq ft 1/2 acr ) taxes are usually start around 4K up to 12k. The area I live in is within 1 hour a several major cites, so it tends to be more expensive. You do get the occasional old leaky farm house on dumpy lot that goes for under 300K, and If you want to pay under 200K then you better have cash, because it's gonna be a gut job.

I have some family up near Scranton, and even really huge nice houses are under 300k. Taxes are pocket change comparatively.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
183 ci of tire shredding power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
drives a stick shift ranger
holy shit!! its expensive where yall live.

the island and the main area of town are houses over 300k in my area. they pay taxes 12k plus. my area of town is 100-200k and you can still get rougher older houses for less than 100k. my little house on almost a half acre lot is 1700 in taxes

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16

I'm the opposite - can't get comfortable on the thick padded seats of old. Or at least not once they're worn down and in need of new foam.

We rented a '22 Pathfinder for an 11 hour trip to St Louis around Christmas. That was one of the more comfortable trips I've done. And it got something like 22-23mpg the whole way. Not bad considering how big it was. Way better than the trip to Indiana in my Ranger back in September. Between the loud tires, lifted suspension, etc, I was glad to be done on each end of the trip. At least the Camry can cruise quietly down the highway and not vibrate all over the place. Plus it gets ~25mpg on the highway rather than ~15 in the Ranger.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Well the panhandle of FL used to be nice and cheap, but the Michael blew everything down… and then the yanks and west coasters realized they ruined their areas and decided to come down all at once.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I'm the opposite - can't get comfortable on the thick padded seats of old. Or at least not once they're worn down and in need of new foam.

We rented a '22 Pathfinder for an 11 hour trip to St Louis around Christmas. That was one of the more comfortable trips I've done. And it got something like 22-23mpg the whole way. Not bad considering how big it was. Way better than the trip to Indiana in my Ranger back in September. Between the loud tires, lifted suspension, etc, I was glad to be done on each end of the trip. At least the Camry can cruise quietly down the highway and not vibrate all over the place. Plus it gets ~25mpg on the highway rather than ~15 in the Ranger.
Thats something i miss is just the quiet ride. My F250 is comfy, but its still a HD truck. You get banged around over bumps, theres wind noise, tire noise, etc etc.

Ill be honest i couldnt imagine driving a ranger, any ranger, more then 100 miles or so anymore. Even my 13 mi drive to work in rusty can be taxing depending on my mood.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

I drive to Atlanta from Tallahassee several times a year with an occasional trip to NC or Arkansas. Let me tell you how less stressful it is to have a car with lane keeping assist, and and adaptive CC. It makes the trip so much easier. I'm not beat down from driving. I'm actually well rested by the time I get to Kennesaw Ga. I can get there by noon and not feel like I drove for 6 hrs. I'm not constantly fighting a sloppy steering wheel or shitting my pants when the front wheels catch the lane groove on the road and snatch the car one way or the other. I don't have to touch the gas or brake pedal with Adaptive CC, the car slows down when I get too close to a car in front of me. I could go on and on, and my 74 yo dad can't' stop talking about it, since he saw everything that SUV can do, and it's the BASE model.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I drive to Atlanta from Tallahassee several times a year with an occasional trip to NC or Arkansas. Let me tell you how less stressful it is to have a car with lane keeping assist, and and adaptive CC. It makes the trip so much easier. I'm not beat down from driving. I'm actually well rested by the time I get to Kennesaw Ga. I can get there by noon and not feel like I drove for 6 hrs. I'm not constantly fighting a sloppy steering wheel or shitting my pants when the front wheels catch the lane groove on the road and snatch the car one way or the other. I don't have to touch the gas or brake pedal with Adaptive CC, the car slows down when I get too close to a car in front of me. I could go on and on, and my 74 yo dad can't' stop talking about it, since he saw everything that SUV can do, and it's the BASE model.
Eh. I dont want a vehicle assisting me with driving. Beepers going off, whatever. I like hum ho steering, i dont like veering all over just cause i move 1/8 inch. I get more aggravated by having to feel like i have to "hold" the wheel, as in, constantly apply strength and really focus. Drives me nuts.

AC, cruise, soft seat, soft suspension, and lots of room are all i need to be relaxed.

I should also add im 6'1, stiff as a board, and built like a fridge. I also get closterphobic and "stuffy" easy. I usually have the seat reclined pretty far back and slid all the way back...and always have a window crackedee

Last edited:

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Eh. I dont want a vehicle assisting me with driving. Beepers going off, whatever. I like hum ho steering, i dont like veering all over just cause i move 1/8 inch. I get more aggravated by having to feel like i have to "hold" the wheel, as in, constantly apply strength and really focus. Drives me nuts.

AC, cruise, soft seat, soft suspension, and lots of room are all i need to be relaxed.

I should also add im 6'1, stiff as a board, and built like a fridge. I also get closterphobic and "stuffy" easy. I usually have the seat reclined pretty far back and slid all the way back...and always have a window crackedee
You really need to try a good lane keep system. They’re so nice. Honda’s is alright. Hyundai’s is really good. Just tap the wheel every 30 sec or so to keep it activated.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
You really need to try a good lane keep system. They’re so nice. Honda’s is alright. Hyundai’s is really good. Just tap the wheel every 30 sec or so to keep it activated.
Eh....maybe in 20 years ill have moved up to 2015 lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

I felt the same way, until I drove a modern car. Don't knock it until you try it.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I don't really care about the lane systems, but adaptive cruise is wild on a long trip. As you catch up to traffic, it silently matches the vehicle in front of you until it gets out of the way, then brings the speed right back up to what you'd selected. If nothing else, it takes away a lot of my frustration with people parking in the left lane because I don't manually slow down to wait for them.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Eh....maybe in 20 years ill have moved up to 2015 lol
Honestly I get more satisfaction driving my old ranger than driving my wife’s 4 month old CX-5. It’s worse in every way, but I’m the reason it’s alive. And that makes my feel all warm and fuzzy.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I don't really care about the lane systems, but adaptive cruise is wild on a long trip. As you catch up to traffic, it silently matches the vehicle in front of you until it gets out of the way, then brings the speed right back up to what you'd selected. If nothing else, it takes away a lot of my frustration with people parking in the left lane because I don't manually slow down to wait for them.
Im usually running 70-75 anyways, its rare j run up on someone espicially in the left lane. There are times though ill catch myself getting carried away and hauling 80-85 if traffic is doing so, but its rare. My old LTD II with a 351w and 2.50 gears i often caught myself with the needle pegged at 85 though....just cause it felt like thats where it wanted to be.
Honestly I get more satisfaction driving my old ranger than driving my wife’s 4 month old CX-5. It’s worse in every way, but I’m the reason it’s alive. And that makes my feel all warm and fuzzy.
Same thing for me. Ive test drove quite a few newer trucks, etc, trying my best to try and move forward....but then i climb back in my old stuff and im like "ahh...home".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals