• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WHAT KIND OF "WAX" ARE YOU USING????

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wax the entire Ranger today--(1st time) Man, that was a lot of work!!!:icon_twisted: Almost 4 hours, did the roof, undersides, tonneau cover, EVERYTHING!! Summers coming, with the scorching sun, and 110 degree days!!(sometimes, 115-118 degrees), so had to get it done now. I'm using Meguiars Ultimate paste wax. Been using this on the Black Cadi roadster, we take to the car shows, and the results are nothing short of "1st" place!!!!:love: After all that work, here's a pic. Whats everyone using, on your finish????

DSC01671.JPG

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I'm a detail nut, but take the easy way out...I use and have been for several years, the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Spray Synthetic Wax. Can do the Ranger in 30 minutes, spray on, wipe off.
And now, with the vinyl wrap panels I had installed, I have to use a synthetic polymer wax as anything with carnauba in it will dull the vinyl.
Also use their spray detailer in between wax's and at shows/cruise-ins.
303 Aerospace Protectant on all the exterior plastic, rubber, and 303 on all the interior plastic, rubber, vinyl.
Grumpaw

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Nu Finish when I do a detail job.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm a detail nut, but take the easy way out...I use and have been for several years, the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Spray Synthetic Wax. Can do the Ranger in 30 minutes, spray on, wipe off.
And now, with the vinyl wrap panels I had installed, I have to use a synthetic polymer wax as anything with carnauba in it will dull the vinyl.
Also use their spray detailer in between wax's and at shows/cruise-ins.
303 Aerospace Protectant on all the exterior plastic, rubber, and 303 on all the interior plastic, rubber, vinyl.
Grumpaw
Pure Synthetic Polymer--That what this Meguiars Ultimate is!! I didn't know that it would work for "vinyl"--I was surprised to find out on another post, that the "black" areas on the Ranger doors, are not paint, they are vinyl. Somebody scratched theirs, and was commenting on this. Maybe a small spot test??? Makes me nervous, tho!!:whistle:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Wax?!?!?

im-shocked-shocked-5c636f.jpg

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
But that's a new truck - it should be 2 or 3 years before it needs a wash, and 5 or 6 before it needs a wax! :dunno:

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
But that's a new truck - it should be 2 or 3 years before it needs a wash, and 5 or 6 before it needs a wax! :dunno:
If was 6!! 6 months anyway:p

sheep herder

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
If it ain't broke, break it.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Meguiars synthetic sealant.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Pure Synthetic Polymer--That what this Meguiars Ultimate is!! I didn't know that it would work for "vinyl"--I was surprised to find out on another post, that the "black" areas on the Ranger doors, are not paint, they are vinyl. Somebody scratched theirs, and was commenting on this. Maybe a small spot test??? Makes me nervous, tho!!:whistle:
The vinyl I was referring to was/is the vinyl graphics. Was told years ago by a knowledgeable person in the field to avoid using wax with a carnauba base as it will "dry" out the vinyl over a period of time.
Our motor home is covered with vinyl graphics, and after 8 years sitting outside, the graphics still look like new.
I use 303 Protectant on all the interior vinyl surfaces.
Grumpaw

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve used Meguires Gold Class for years now. Before that I was misguided and used Turtle Wax. Pretty much use nothing but Meguires products anymore. I do have a bottle of the Turtle Wax liquid clay bar stuff sitting around but haven’t tested it out yet and I have some of the Ice paste wax somewhere too.

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The vinyl I was referring to was/is the vinyl graphics. Was told years ago by a knowledgeable person in the field to avoid using wax with a carnauba base as it will "dry" out the vinyl over a period of time.
Grumpaw
Really nice truck!!!
Are you referring to the color, on the hood, and on the sides in your Ranger picture, or just the Motorhome??

I'm concerned the vinyl covered panels, just behind the front door windows, are going to fade/suffer in the summer sun here--seen it happen before-the intense UV is extremely hard on plastics, ect. I was hopping to come up with something that may effectively protect this area.

Last edited:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
Really nice truck!!!
Are you referring to the color, on the hood, and on the sides in your Ranger picture, or just the Motorhome??

I'm concerned the vinyl covered panels, just behind the front door windows, are going to fade/suffer in the summer sun here--seen it happen before-the intense UV is extremely hard on plastics, ect. I was hopping to come up with something that may effectively protect this area.
the dark gray is actually vinyl wrap like used on commercial vehicles. High quality graphics are made of the same stuff. I
It was explained to me that caranuba will dry out the vinyl over a period of time so I use the synthetic type.
As for the plastics and polymer stuff on the outside and tires, I use 303 Aerospace Protectant. It was invented/formulated for rubber/plastic/vinyl only and is great for UV protection. It's pretty much the only protectant I use on our motor home, 2 Subaru's, and the Ranger for all the trip, rubber, and tires. It won't give a "shiny high gloss" finish, more of a dull matt finish, but it's good stuff.
A bit expensive, but much cheaper by the gallon on Amazon. And, a little goes a long way...2-3 sprays on a piece of sponge will do a tire.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals