• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Brake problems...

Landcruisin60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright, so the brakes on the Ranger feel funky. It'll stop the truck but the pedal goes to the floor. When you first hit the brakes they have a little stopping power but then the pedal gives away and stops braking until you push farther and then you get braking power. If you push it to the floor or close to it the truck stops really quickly. So until you get to the bottom of the stroke you dont have a whole lot of braking power...have I lost you yet? So I started out by checking the front pads and they still have a lot of life in them. So I decided to bleed the brakes thinking maybe there was air in the line. I couldnt get the passanger read bleeder screw open so I couldnt bleed it. But I bled all 3 other tires. It started out with a nasty dark brown color and I went until it was an almost clear amber color. But still the pedal is no where near firm. Though I didnt bleed the master I wasnt sure if I could screw something up and I couldnt search this site since I just made this account a few minutes ago.

So what should I do? Should I go and bleed the master? I didnt check the rear shoes, could that be the problem? Or is the master itself dead?

Landcruisin60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Nobody?? I'd like to get this fixed before I drive it much more.

spittinfire

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
To me it almost sounds like your master cylinder is bad. If you have pressure at the beginning of the pedal stroke and loose it that might indicate that the seals around the piston in the master have failed. What doesn't make sense is that you get pressure back at the bottom of the pedal stroke unless the bore of the master is worn or possiblly a bad casting.
If it were mine I would try to open that 4th bleeder just to see what happens. Plus you are going to need to open it sooner or later. I don't know where you are from but I'm going to guess that rust is an issue here. Soak it in penetrating oil and let it sit over night. Use a line wrench or a 6 point socket to wrench on it. If you round it off you can still grab it with a vise grip or something, you just don't want to break it off. You can also heat it up, which will help loosen it. You'll want to heat the metal around the the bleeder to make it expand, not the bleeder itself.
If you bleed the breaks and there is no improvement, check all the lines and fittings for leaks, if all is well there then there is only one thing left, your master cylinder. That is how I would attack it, working my way up in cost of parts. Hope that helps!

Landcruisin60

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yep I'm in VT so rust is an issue. But rust wasnt the issue, it was me being stupid and in a rush and throwing an open end wrench on it and rounding it off. Its not my truck, its my grandfathers but I'm borrowing it while hes out of town. I consider myself very mechanically inclined so I'm not afraid to jump into a project. I was reading another thread that was talking about similar symptoms and it ended up being the drums needed adjustment. I can check the rear brakes tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals