• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Smog Equipment?

riggzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys, I apologize if this has already been addressed elsewhere...somewhat new to posting threads mostly read up on what's already been posted for the last too many years. I'm thinking about removing the smog equip from my '84, what all can come off without having to change carbs, ignition syst, etc? I've heard it can come out and just need to plug holes, but some of the threads I read earlier say with the stock feedback carb you gotta have it all to work right.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
LEAVE IT ALONE! We, on this forum, never take any smog stuff off of out vehicles.
Big JIm

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you dont have to pass emissions look up the duraspark conversion most of the emissions don`t need to be there because it probably dont work right anyway. A good tune up with the duraspark ignition depending on the motor will actually get better emission readings, fuel economy and overall performance. But you have to eliminate the computer and either adapt or change the carb also keep the smog pump and cat the egr is more than likely non existent and the valve guide seals probably dont work either. I just pulled my intake manifold and the exhaust ports to the egr were totally plugged I like the idea of getting it working to help cool the valves. Valve guide seals are in and cleaning it up to put it back together. Otherwise if it is running good dont fix it all the emission parts are either expensive or hard to find with no guarantee they will even work I changed virtually everything and the computer still acted up all the time fix one thing another code popped up. use the tech library it has all the info you need for the conversion but its all or nothing if you becide to go that way

riggzie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
No emissions in Colorado Springs and the truck is exempt anyway due to age. The truck runs decent as it is, except on the cold mornings and sometimes after it's warmed up it likes to die out on me as I come to a stop. I know the smog equip isn't the culprit here but I was thinking of ways to get a little more power with out having to spend much. I figured it was an "all or nothing" deal. When I got this truck there was already several electrical connections unplugged on the carb. I'm gonna look more into the duraspark conversion and ultimately would like to do the fuel injection conversion. Just need more $ and time to git'er done! Thanks for clearing it up!

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I paid about $130 for the parts and got the harness from the boneyard from a mid 80s four cyl ranger from the distributor to the module and pulled all the emissionout keeping the water temp oil pressure and alternator wires in tact if you have a 4 speed auto add a switch to lock the OD

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals