• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Extreme Noob!

letterman7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
unknown
Transmission
Automatic
Hi gang,
All my web searching has consistently led me back to this site. I have, in my street rod, what I'm reasonably sure is a 1974 2.8L V6 engine, which seemed to be the common motor when the car was built. I've been looking to replace the exhaust system which has been covered on these forums before - Summit has a header system, now discontinued by Edelbrock - but they fit the later model Rangers, hence my visit here.
My particular engine has the siamesed exhaust ports on both sides... do the later engines have those as well (not being at all familiar with the later Ford motors)? Short of having something custom made, has anyone come across an aftermarket for these particular motors?

Any input/direction would certainly be appreciated!
Thanks,
Rick

Mudhound

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Eaastern Ky- out in the woods ( literally)
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
173 and 331 CI
Transmission
Manual
86 Areostar could be had with the 2.8. I stole the shorty style manifolds off of one and the are working on my 84 BII just peachy. I think that I gave $30 for the set, including some stub pipe to build off of.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When you say siamesed.....................?

Eric:icon_welder:

letterman7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
unknown
Transmission
Automatic
When you say siamesed.....................?

Eric:icon_welder:
Meaning that two cylinders on either side of the block have the exhaust ports right next to each other...

Note the two forwardmost ports. From what I have read so far, the manifold logs just had the two openings - a large oval opening for those two ports, and the seperate opening for the single port further back (or forward, depending on which side of the engine), hence the term 'siamesed ports'.
Clear as mud? Thanks for asking for clarification, though, Eric! I'm still learning on these motors!

bigswede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I remember correctly, and I`m willing to admit I may be wrong but the very early 70s versions of these motors had 2 exhaust ports per head. I`m sure the euro version did, I`ve seen some Forums from UK sites and they lament that they got truly "siamesed" ports, the closest together were REALLY together..

letterman7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
unknown
Transmission
Automatic
wow, that really doesn't look much like my 2.8.
That's almost exactly the comment I'm looking for, since I'm trying to find parts that will work on the motor. The only headers available fit the early '80's Ranger 2.8's... If your ports don't look like this, then obviously they won't work!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
your's looks more like one i saw a few months ago. it came out of a Panoz and had a turbo on it... for real!! they only wanted $500 for it with about 12k miles on it (guy was upgrading to a v8). it was going to cost me another $4k-5k to have it put in my ranger with all custom plumbing and everything. way to expensive for me.

creepinjeepster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 and 1991
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
90-2.9 and 91-3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Here's a link to gaskets for it....
http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker+Headers/520/10828/10002/-1
or this kind even.....
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/search/?N=0&Nr=AND(wpn_tl_name:Engine+&+Drivetrain,wpn_cat_name:Exhaust+&+Emissions,wpn_scat_name:Headers+&+Manifolds)

Here's a site where you can have some custom headers made for the engine.....
http://www.stainlessheaders.com/customheaders

Haven't had much luck finding headers, but here is the basic info of your engine......Ford 171 V-6 1974-79

I pulled the gaskets up using a 1974 Ford Mustang II Mach I w/2.8L V-6.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals