• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB install

orange_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hey
I just installed a little radioshack CB i think it was new in 2002 but i am not positive. I installed it with a 4' fiberglass antenna on my rear bumper i have had it on for about a month dont turn it on all the time but i have only heard white noise on it. what could i have screwed up.
thanks a lot

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
have you tuned it any?

Gabe8810

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you will probably need the antana tuned and the radio as well

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
relocate antenna

rangerred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
CB Install

I haven't messed with cb's in a while, but some antenna systems can be fussy.

First, read the directions, twice. Not being a smart ass, you may have missed something.
CB/antennas usually need to be tuned for optimum "reach". Radio Shack used to offer a tuning device for about $25.

All connections and grounds need to be tight. The antenna itself has preferred mounting positions on the vehicle.

Also, your physical location may have an effect on transmission and reception. Hills, buildings, high tension lines, can influence performance.

There are many variables obviously. Check the directions, try the manufacturers hotline if available.

orange_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunatley the cb, the antena and all the wiring was scrapt out of a friend who sold his truck so i have no instructions and i am in canada where radioschack no longer exists how do i tune cb and antena

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You need an SWR meter to check your antenna. Find a local CB shop or an electronics shop. Either should have/will have someone who knows there way around CBs.

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If Your antenna is a CB antenna and is new or if it work in your friends truck then it shouldn't need any tuning same with the CB. Turn to channel 19, on the hwy. thats the generally the channel truckers use and see if you can hear anything or talk to any one. if now then start checking connections and wires. Tuning is the last thing you should need to do.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
^^umm....last thing? really? Antenna is everything. Having it properly tuned and pulling low SWR loss readings is vital to a system. I'm pulling .7 out of mine...0% powerloss and my setup is tits.

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
If Your antenna is a CB antenna and is new or if it work in your friends truck then it shouldn't need any tuning same with the CB. Turn to channel 19, on the hwy. thats the generally the channel truckers use and see if you can hear anything or talk to any one. if now then start checking connections and wires. Tuning is the last thing you should need to do.
The antenna has to be tuned to it location on the vehicle. Any time you move the antenna it needs to be retuned.

Your SWR SHOULD be less then 1.5:1
2:1 could be used but isn't recommended.

You can get meters off ebay fairly cheap. Mine was almost $100 but it does more then match checking.

If you want something thats easy to tune and an all around great antenna I recommend going with a Wilson 1000 antenna. The Wilson 500 and Little Will are also great antennas.
I have my Wilson 5000 stuck in the middle of my roof and it outperforms my friends base antenna. :dunno:

Checkout the Firestik website, they have lots of helpful info.
http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

ScubaDive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I do agree with both of you F4X and 5Speed but your making this way to hard to start with, your SWR is something to check yes but even with a high SWR (with-in reason) you still should hear something.

CB Antennas are just that 'CB Antennas' if he was using a HAM stick that would be a different story, and a CB out of the box shouldn't need any tuning unless someone was in there screwing around with the 'pots' with that being said if it work for his friend then it should work for him. KIS rules apply (keep is simple). Start with the wires and work back to the device.

Side Note. NEVER transmit on a CB without an Antenna!!!!

Last edited:

5speedin2.3

May 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
I do agree with both of you F4X and 5Speed but your making this way to hard to start with, your SWR is something to check yes but even with a high SWR (with-in reason) you still should hear something.

CB Antennas are just that 'CB Antennas' if he was using a HAM stick that would be a different story, and a CB out of the box shouldn't need any tuning unless someone was in there screwing around with the 'pots' with that being said if it work for his friend then it should work for him. KIS rules apply (keep is simple). Start with the wires and work back to the device.

Side Note. NEVER transmit on a CB without an Antenna!!!!
Ok, do as this guy says.
I guess I'm wrong and you don't need to tune an antenna.

Finals are cheap right? :dunno:

orange_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
thanks a lot

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
Hey,

As stated a lot easier than most people think.

Here is my take on the subject:

Run the red and blk wires to the battery for power, put an in-line fuse holder as close to the battery (within reason) as possible. When running wires through the firewall make sure to avoid moving pedals, i.e. brake/clutch/gas pedals. If drilling a new hole USE A GROMMET in the hole to avoid chafing of the wires.

Mount the CB, attach the power wires red to red and blk to blk, attach the coax to the CB and the antenna, tune the antenna (this is a must for transmitting).

The coax... I am a firm believer on new coax when ever you change things around unless you know the age and abuse the existing coax has gone through. Look for Belden brand coax, not RAT Shack, the RG-58U is good to use but the best for most mobile applications is RG-8X.

As said before get the antenna tuned for low SWR this is a must if you want to transmit clearly and to the furthest distance. This shouldn't do a lot for the receiving noise but as stated moving the antenna might do some, adding a ground braid (1/2" min) from the antenna mount to the frame might (getting to bare metal at the attaching points).

As stated... there is no need to tune the CB... if you had one of the expensive units ($300, $400 and up), then the CB MIGHT respond to a tuning but most CBs get nothing out of it except more noise.

The most important part of a CB system is the antenna/coax then the CB.

How old is the setup and was the coax and the antenna in good shape when you got it ?

Luck to ya,

Last edited:

orange_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
antenna is in good shape allthough i do not know what the coax is

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals