• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Found a '74 Capri 2.8 in the JY....

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Was wondering if I can use anything from the Capri. I was pretty excited at first and then read the 72-74 Capri's use a points-type or primitive electronic ignition - Not the Duraspark that we all want.

I didn't have tools to pull the air cleaner and take a look, and won't have a chance til next week, so thought I'd ask here. I didn't see a telltail Duraspark box and couldn't get to the distributor.

Also, is the carb the desirable unit?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The DuraSpark has a different coil and SHOULD have the adapter for the large diameter distributor cap.

Also look closely at the carb - it may make a good core for a conversion.
And you know enpugh not to get the complete engine.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
The DuraSpark has a different coil and SHOULD have the adapter for the large diameter distributor cap.

Also look closely at the carb - it may make a good core for a conversion.
And you know enpugh not to get the complete engine.
Thanks for the response!! So does this mean that the Capri has the "original" Duraspark (Duraspark I??)? Is it still usable in the same way as the Duraspark II?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the distributer has a huge two piece cap it is probably DS, there should be a wheel with 6 blades inside the cap if it is. I bet it is points which would still work if you wanted it to, if you take the smallish cap (compared to DS) off you would see breaker points in it.

I thought straight Duraspark is what you wanted for a RBV swap? My box only says "Duraspark" on it, it works. Four cylinders Rangers did come with the Duraspark II from the factory however.

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If the distributer has a huge two piece cap it is probably DS, there should be a wheel with 6 blades inside the cap if it is. I bet it is points which would still work if you wanted it to, if you take the smallish cap (compared to DS) off you would see breaker points in it.

I thought straight Duraspark is what you wanted for a RBV swap? My box only says "Duraspark" on it, it works. Four cylinders Rangers did come with the Duraspark II from the factory however.
This is my understanding:

Duraspark I is the original non-points electronic ignition introduced in 1973. It is closest to a traditional electronic ignition and uses the same type of hall effect trigger, external box, and coil. Duraspark II was introduced in 1976 and is what people here reference as the Duraspark conversion, with the wide cap and improved external box.

So it sounds like it is similar but not the same. Since I am just looking for a good MPG truck with a little power (not planning on exhaust mods or anything else), I am not too worried about having the "best", just reliable, without the TFI and computer.

I think I am going to go to the JY and take some pics and do some wrenching. Can't hurt!

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also found this:

In 1974, Ford/Mercury began to use breakerless ignition systems. The first of these electronic ignition systems was originally just referred to as the breakerless ignition system, but later, in 1977, it became known as Duraspark. The Duraspark I system, and the next version, Duraspark II were nearly identical in operation, and virtually identical in appearance. The Duraspark I uses a special control module which senses current flow through the ignition coil and adjusts the coil for maximum spark intensity. If the Duraspark I module senses that the ignition is ON, but the distributor shaft is not turning, the current to the coil is turned OFF by the module.

The Duraspark II system does not have this feature. The coil is energized for the full amount of time that the ignition switch is ON. Keep this in mind when servicing the Duraspark II system, as the ignition system could inadvertently fire while performing ignition system services (such as distributor cap removal) while the ignition is ON. All Duraspark II systems are easily identified by having a two-piece, flat topped distributor cap.

From: http://www.geocities.com/cantwait_forviolence/cj_ignmod.html

It appears they are very similar,

Forcus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also:

Ford began using electronic ignitions in 1973 and introduced the Duraspark II system in 1976. The biggest change, apart from the control box redesign, was the large distributor cap to handle the increased spark energy. The system consists of a magnetic reluctor and pickup in the distributor, and an ignition module to trigger the coil. Typically, the distributors have both mechanical and vacuum advance mechanisms. The curve is reset by using inexpensive springs and adjustable advance units.

From: http://home.cfl.rr.com/mustangsix/Engine/duraspark.htm

swampy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It probably has a points-type ignition - nothing wrong with that system, in my book - very simple to install, reliable, and easy to maintain.

I'd be interested in the intake manifold, if it's in good shape and a reasonable price.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It probably has a points-type ignition - nothing wrong with that system, in my book - very simple to install, reliable, and easy to maintain.

I'd be interested in the intake manifold, if it's in good shape and a reasonable price.
What's the difference between this and the Ranger 2.8 intake?

EDIT: Old but good info here too:

http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/flats/3349/

Last edited:

swampy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What's the difference between this and the Ranger 2.8 intake?

I'm thinking it should take the Holley 5200 carb that year, and I happen to have a brand new one that's never been used.

Natedog

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I've got a carbed Ranger 2.8 sittin here collectin dust...so it would be nice to know if somebody could use something off it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals