• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 head question

bigswede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was just wondering if the 2.8 has any issues with cracking heads. Pretty sure they`re not as bad as the 2.9, but my `84 B2 has been blowing steam out of the exhaust and getting water in the oil. I pulled the heads today and couldn`t find anything that stood out like it could be trouble. I did notice that the pistons have a "10" on them and there was no ridge at the top of the cylinders. The head and intake gaskets were older felpros. I`m truly hoping it`s just a gasket issue and not anything in the heads or block that`s cracked.

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
Best bet would be to take the head to a machine shop. They can clean it up and do a full check for cracks. Keep in mind that just because you do not physically see a crack? Doesn't mean it's not hiding a hairline crack in a hard to view place.

The test will cost a few bucks, shop in my area runs about 80 bucks per head for a full cleanup and all that stuff. (they also will check to see if the head is warped or not) It might seem a bit pricey to some, but consider the time spent to tear it down--gasket kit--reassemble--new head bolts (if the 2.8 has the same bolts as the 2.9...it's single use only)....I'd want to be sure before shelling out the dough.

S-

mercman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.8's don't crack like 2.9's. Do a good cleaning and inspection, you can use a good straight edge and feeler gauges to check for warping. If you can't see a crack they are most likely ok, but the only sure way is to spend the money at the machine shop though.
The 10 on your pistons means some one had it bored 10 thousandths over when they rebuilt it. They may not have torqued it properly, or reused torque to yield head bolts. I didn't think the 2.8's had those, but maybe. Did you see any signs of leakage on your old gaskets? You can usually see a slight deposit trail from passage to passage.

bigswede

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn`t think the 2.8 used the torque to yield head bolts...dang.. I`m gonna look over the gaskets again but didn`t see anything first time I looked. I do believe one of the head bolts had a little less give than the rest but maybe it`s just me..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals