• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8 timing marks . . .

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I see only unmarked marks on the damper. Anyone have a pic or an explanation of the marks on the damper?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remove #1 plug, front passenger side; "bump" engine until you feel compression build, then when the piston is at top; the mark lined up with the pointer is TDC. Bad news is occasionally they are off.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the help . . I teach automotive classes. I can find TDC if I need to do so. I have torn the engine down to a bare block and upon building it back up, I'm going with a Duraspark ignition. I am just interested in what the marks are and what they stand for . . gotta stand for something. I admit this is my first experience with a 2.8 and it is quirky for sure.

litleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think one deep cut is TDC and the other is about 27 deg BTDC. There should be lighter marks between the two heavy starting at 0 Deg showing in incriments of 2 deg up to about 20 deg BTDC. The idea was to search for the 10 deg mark (Light mark) for the base timing, SPOUT disconnected. The 27 deg heavy mark should be close to the calculated timing at the end of KOER test.

I hope this helps.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
No computer at this point, all has been removed. Its a Duraspark now. I see no smaller marks, just the deep ones.

litleblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I will check on mine. You may have to get a magnifying glasss to see the numbers they are pretty small!!

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
tiny little numbers?? really?

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Guessing here: I don't know why they put those other marks there, but it may be because that damper is used on other engines where the pointer is different. If I recall correctly they don't line up with anything when checking advance or otherwise. Maybe someday I'll research all the Ford material that I have, but not now.

Last edited:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
well I got around to adjusting the valves. I found TDc and worked from there. I marked the damper at TDC, a deep groove. I see the other groove advanced of TDC. Still would like to know how many degrees it is?? I can figure by calculating the circumference of the damper . just thought someone would now??

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '83 is 10 deg. btdc. I couldn't make sense out of the marks so i drew a 6" circle (th diameter of the pulley) and came off the circumfrence (?) 10 deg. based on the center of the circle. Came out to either 7/16 or 9/16 of an inch from the btdc mark. E-mail me if you like erk4@pge.com

Eric

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
Glad I'm not the only one who can't make sense of the numbers.We need a acurate degree wheel.

BEEFKING69

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok looking at the front of the harmonic balancer u have ur first deep cut groove then C then 4 marks then 12 then 3 marks then 20 then a gap then 27 just before the 2nd deep groove then right after the groove 33

hope this made sense and hope it helped

tnt4me

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just did the timing in my 84. The marks are as follows (counter clockwise). First mark is called the lead in timing mark (Chilton book). The second mark is the timimg mark. Mark the second timing line and the indicator on the block. I did it with some white paint. Just use a timimg light set to 10 degrees BTDC. Hooked up to plug wire#1 and disconnect SPOUT of course. Confused me a while too. Runs like a champ now.:yahoo:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals