• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

starter trouble

89alaskan_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
So I just got a new bronco II and was messing around checking out the eng/wireing job the guy did to it(it was raining out side) and when to start the truck and as expected sparks flew from the battery. When I go to turn it over it just makes a buzzing sound, kinda like when the battery is dead. any Ideals, I was thinking maybe a starter relay:icon_confused:????

AKBroncoII

Reaction score
check the connections at the battery. Could be loose.

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
my truck is doing the same thing, i made sure the connections were on tight, i even changed the wires/terminals and swapped out the old starter relay for a brand new one from the parts store, its still doing it so ill be bringing it in to the shop tomorrow to have him figure it out, ill try and let you know what it is when i find out.

edit: i forgot to mention i checked all the wires to the relay and coming from the relay with a battery tester and they were all getting power, so its something beyond that which is shorted out or something. either way hope that helps and ill let you know

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If it is sparking from the battery, something is loose, battery cable, or any other wire that may be connected to the post. Make sure connections are clean and tight.:)shady

89alaskan_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
it only sparked from the battery once and that was becasue of the water on the top of it was connecting the two post. Thanks all for the comments I really appriciate it, it always helps to have a couple of differnt points of view when your trying to trouble shoot.

small ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
171 c.i. of fury
Transmission
Manual
So your battery was under water, or was shorted out by enough water to connect the two post? Things you might want to put in your original post.

89alaskan_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
Ya It probably would help:), luckly for me a new starter relay fixed her and even better I some how talked the guy at the parts story into selling me the new one for five buck becasue it was missing the hardware!! well good luck with your trouble there 87rangerdude. Just a thought but are your sure all the wires for your starter relay are in the proper position?

87Rangerdude

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
good news i got it running, it was the wire to the alternator was shot, it was not connected correctly and was shorting out, also the mechanic told me that the negative terminal needed to be grounded to the engine, not the frame.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Need one ground to the engine, AND to the frame. Look closely and you will also have a ground to the radiator support, cab and maybe others . You can't have too many grounds.

Eric Kropp

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Should have a ground from the battery to the engine, from the battery to frame and body and from the engine to the frame and body..........and sometimes one to the hood. Never to many grounds.

Eric

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
or put on one of those grounding kits that gives your more power :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals