• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GVWR and plate classifications in IL

NapalmMan67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is short- Play naked!
If anyone wasn't aware, I just found out a couple days ago...

As of July 2006, Illinois went to a flat weight plating fee for vehicles (trucks).

So now, "B" class plates are 8000lb GVWR or less, and 8001-12000lb GVWR are class "D". Probably most 3/4 and 1 tons fall in to this catagory.

For those that don't know, a "B" plate fee is $78/yr, and the "D" plate is $158.00 a year. The "D" classification also requires that every 6 months, you have to take the vehicle to a certified mechanic, and have it inspected- mine cost $20 each time. So basically it's $200 a year for plating my F250 SD.

How I found this out:

My truck (8800lb GVWR) was originally plated as "B" in 2001 when I bought it new, and the GVWR classification break was 8801 or less. I actually reclassed my plates to "D" on my own in 2006, not knowing the new "flate rate" system was in place. I did it for the lift on my truck, and it stopped me being hassled by the cops all to often.

Anyway, since i'm only averaging around 300 miles of use every 6 months with my truck- I wanted to save a little cash and reclass back to the lower rating, hence not having to go through inspection every 6 months ($40), and also $80 less for plates a year.

So they told me at the DMV that I couldn't because of the GVWR, and the application would be rejected downstate. I have to stay with the "D" class plates.

So to wrap this up, even though the state has or did not notifiy owners of the new law- If you get stopped with a "B" plate on an 8001lb or higher GVWR vehicle, you are potentially subject to a $1500 fine for wrongful classification, and possible 90 days jail time. This is what Springfield told me yesterday afteer about 2hrs on the phone with them... This is of course dependant on if the officer knows the law in regards to this.

Makes me wonder how many are on the road with the wrong class plates these days, just because they are unaware.

Sorry for the long post, it's just a heads up people! Good luck out there.

Last edited:

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
i know there are several around here with class b plates. and there is a way to get it so you only need inspeced 1 time a year. but it requires you to get a DOT# and place it on both sides of your truck. and a class b is only 8000 # not 8800#.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
That really sounds goofy, but doesn't surprise me. My dad used to have D plates on his 2wd F250, because he hauled seed corn around. He switched back to B plates after he stopped selling seed corn. This was at least 10 years ago.

However, last year when I bought my Duramax (Mar 07) and when I bought my Superduty (Dec 07), I had a choice as to what plate I could get. I'd have to double check my GVWR, but I'm sure it falls in the 8000# and over category with both trucks. Also, just FYI, most trucks of a 3/4 ton size do not need much of a load on a sizable trailer to exceed 12,000lbs.

Next month our Farm Bureau is having a state DOT trooper go over rules and regs with him, this would be a good topic to bring up. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong, this is a good topic that needs some discussion.

BTW--at least Blago is out of office!

NapalmMan67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I don't want a DOT# on the side of my truck, and I tried to explain to them it's not a farm or commercial vehicle. They just kept referring to the weight classification regs. and insisted I had to have the D plates.

And according to the DMV/Springfield, those that have B plates are in violation. My thought was it's another way for them to suck money out of the people.

Brad, let me know what that DOT cop has to say about this. I remember when I had B plates and was towing a 9500lb loaded trailer and got stopped for a tailight out, they didn't even say anything about the plate rating.

I'm going to go ahead and submit my application for reclass anyway, and see what happens. I guess all they can do is say no.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
Ron--thats what I would do anyways, and see if they give you a plate.

BTW with D plates you do not have to put a DOT number on the side of the truck.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
Ron--thats what I would do anyways, and see if they give you a plate.

BTW with D plates you do not have to put a DOT number on the side of the truck.
i didn't say he had to. what i said is that with a dot # you only need inspected 1 time a year.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
Had a good discussion with a DOT cop through farm bureau and got some details figured out.

Everything you said Ron in your original post is the way the law reads. As long as your truck is rated for weight over 8000lbs, you should have D plates. Now when you add in your trailer that changes things a bit and then you need to consider the GCVWR and make sure you have the correct drivers license class.

Also found out that I need to put USDOT numbers on my semi's, only because even though I am not traveling out of state, I am delivering grain to a elevator that takes the grain out of state on a barge, so I am participating in interstate commerce, thus I need USDOT numbers on my semi.

Last edited:

NapalmMan67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Guess I need to get my SD inspected then, since it expired in Dec. :sad:

Where do you get yours inspected? Right now I go to Wasco Truck in Wasco.

And this still makes me wonder how many are not plated correctly. I counted 7 different 3/4 and 1 tons yesterday with B plates, and that was only in one 25 mile stretch of road I was on. Oh well, at least I know I am legal.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
I go down to Walnut. Fisch Motors is a Ford dealership and they do inspections out back. There is another place around here that does them but I can't remember where for sure. I can call a buddy that hauls around Rochelle and Dekalb area tomorrow and find out.

NapalmMan67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I was hoping to find someplace closer to DeKalb.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
I can't find anything on the internet. My buddy said Peter's GMC in Rochelle has a testing lane.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
some diesel shops can do state tests also

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is hard to believe--every six months anyone with a 3/4 or higher truck needs to get there vehicle inspected in Illinois?

I doubt it. All the old retired people I know that haul fifth-wheels with dually pickups are the ones giving the legislators all the donations. I think you guys are missing something.

bradz71

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 BII
Transmission
Automatic
This is hard to believe--every six months anyone with a 3/4 or higher truck needs to get there vehicle inspected in Illinois?

I doubt it. All the old retired people I know that haul fifth-wheels with dually pickups are the ones giving the legislators all the donations. I think you guys are missing something.
Read:

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs4.asp?DocName=062500050HCh.+13&ActID=1815&ChapAct=625 ILCS 5/&ChapterID=49&ChapterName=VEHICLES&SectionID=59792&SeqStart=133800000&SeqEnd=136600000&ActName=Illinois+Vehicle+Code.

NapalmMan67

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
5.4L
Transmission
Automatic
My credo

Yes, they changed the GVWR plating laws back in 2006. That's why I wonder how many are not plated legally now, and aren't even aware of the law change.

A short excerpt from the link Brad posted.

"Each second division motor vehicle that pulls or draws a trailer, semitrailer or pole trailer, with a gross weight of more than 8,000 lbs or is registered for a gross weight of more than 8,000 lbs, motor bus, religious organization bus, school bus, senior citizen transportation vehicle, and limousine shall be subject to inspection by the Department and the Department is authorized to establish rules and regulations for the implementation of such inspections."

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals