• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Forced induction 2.3

seattleAIC

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Alright I think I want to put a 2.3 turbo motor (5spd) in a old ranger (1985 possibly). what are 0-60 and 1/4 times for a ranger with 15 psi or more? Is going to be hard to find parts to get 20+ psi and not break something? will it be fast enogh?need answers =)

3gears:

Ric

...RedShred
U.S. Military - Veteran
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Theyre quick, but not crazy fast. I ran 18psi on a merkur swap in my 96, but I wasnt completely happy with it. I believe I was pushing the t3 too much. You can make decent power on just a simple swap using a boost controller, but it will be no rocket ship. I'm not going to comment on 60 times or 1/4's as it will depend on your swap/conversion. On a 0 to 40 I was able to hang with an SS Camaro on just 7psi with mine. I seemed to run out of gas at 18psi on long runs. I still have everything necessary to build a decent 2nd gen and may take another stab at it. hehe, I know this one would be better than the 3rd gen I had.

Read read read.

Dave R

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Kaiser
Transmission
Manual
'Fast enough' is very subjective. For me it requires a vehicle that can scare the crap out of you within a tenth of a second if your not paying attention, ALL THE TIME. And yes, I own a vehicle like that but it ain't a Ranger.

0-60 and 1/4 mile times are again, subjective. It depends on the engine/vehicle/tranny/rear end/tire combo, mine, since retired, was an extra cab, long bed weighing in at just over 4000# with 4.11 gears and 225/75-15 tires, it was quick for it's weight but only did about 15-16 seconds in the 1/4 due to a serious lack of bottom end torque.

A completely stock 'turbo' motor will put up with 20-22psi and still live a reasonably long life.

Jesshwarren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
A turbo 2.3L can vary quite a bit at 15PSI it all depends on the tuning and how well it is getting air.

I ran 13.5 in the 1/4 with a 2.3L @ 25PSI of boost Holset turbo.

I just built a 2.5L 8.0-1 comp turbo motor and with the stock head ran 106.2 MPH in the 1/4 mi that was @ 25PSI

I now upgraded to a big valve head big cam HD valve springs ported the head ect. 15PSI ran 102MPH in the 1/4 mi with a c4 tranny I can pull a 4sec 0-60
Video http://rangersrevenge.com/vids/2007 vids/Testing 0-60.wmv

Jesshwarren

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Jess !!

OF the two turbo guys I trust... here is the other one. :) Welcome to TRS.

Thanx! you will see a lot more of me over here :) Nice sight here!

D94R

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I think I want to put a 2.3 turbo motor (5spd) in a old ranger (1985 possibly). what are 0-60 and 1/4 times for a ranger with 15 psi or more? Is going to be hard to find parts to get 20+ psi and not break something? will it be fast enogh?need answers =)

3gears:
With 15PSI non intercooled, I wouldn't get my hopes up to run any faster than 16second 1/4. Not terribly fast, but then again in N/A form the 2.3 has a fun time trying to run 19's.

Like Dave said, lack of bottom end torque is an issue. Especially when you start tuning them. The engine loves to play in the upper RPM's, so they have a nice top end, but getting there is another story.

Take for instance Dave's 15-16 sec 1/4 mile time reference, and then take what I'm going to say next for comparison.

Last time I was at the track I ran a 14.8. No track prep, on street tires, and a fairly cool night. So traction off the line was a big issue, it was either spin or bog on the street tires. Anyhow, I ran a 9.8 1/8 mile, which *should* equate to a 1/4 mile time of 15.3. But I ran a 14.8, that just goes to show how hot these engines are up top, the pickup from the 1/8 mile on was incredible. Had I had anything other than a stock Ranger clutch and maybe some street slicks 13's would have been doable. Again, this just reinforces the lack of low end torque. This can be overcome though when you get serious with your tuning.

Running 20 PSI is really no big deal. Playing with timing will help if you do not want to intercool it. I myself would suggest a front mount intercooler to keep your air cool as 20PSI is going to start heating up that compressed air quite considerably. Though intercooling is not always necessary, no two engines are alike. I however found I needed to go with a FMIC after I started going much past 15PSI,... having slightly more advanced timing was a factor though too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals