• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My second gen chassis swap/manual conversion

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hello everybody! Just wanted to share my build with you guys and maybe provide useful information. I started with a 1995 ford explorer limited i picked up for $800 with the transmission missing parking gear. I drove it this way for a while and never could bring myself to spend the effort putting a good transmission behind that 4.0. fast foreward a little while down the road and i threw some 33" baja claws i picked up for $200 down the road. everybody said i couldnt fit them, i did with some rubbing.

Last edited:

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The last week i drove my explorer the transmission started to intermittently slip, 4wd stopped working all together, the tail lamps would intermittently work, and the rear end was making a clunking noise around corners. one day the rear end made a loud bang and the driveshaft was spinning with no output to the rear wheels. 8/24/2012 i ended up buying a 1996 explorer limited v8 all wheel drive that had ben in an accident. paid $800 and drove it for 2 and 1/2 hours home. The acceleration impressed me first time i punched it leaving the toll booth. The tail lights work on this one too. At this point i decided i would strip every last wire and have them installed in my black body. thus eleminating any electrical problems ive been having

Last edited:

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4/18/2013 i stripped both interiors and removed the 1996 body from the 1996 chassis. The plan was to take everything off of the 1996 green body, remove the body itself, put my black body on, and install the green components/wiring on the black body.

The 1996 v8awd chassis (green explorer)

Last edited:

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
took the project up to my friends property

I decided on an np-205 transfercase and zf-5 speed manual transmission. It took me a long time to find the transmission for the small block ford and the ford new process. i searched frequently on craigslist for several months. Purchaced a JB fabrication twin stick lever assembly from ebay. ended up smoothing the cast finish to match my transmission better, i was waiting on my backordered clutch from zoom for months. The tail housing on the transmission had to be notched out to clear the shift rail on the transfer case

Last edited:

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
originally lifted the body away with a floor jack and tried to suspend it underneath, dont do it this way.

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Transmission Barely clears the transmission tunnel with 3" body lift, and still neened to be cut and notched around a little to clear the shift lever.

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bought some second skin sound deadening and sound proofing, only got about half of the truck done

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The clutch petal assembly, clutch maser cylinder, and hydraulic line were all for a 98 ranger if i recall, and bolted right in. where the automatic transmission shift line came through in the firewall got replaced by the clutch master cylinder.

Kona

06/2014 OTOTM Winner
Canada Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
7"
Tire Size
35x12.50x15
I like it, can't wait to hear your feedback from driving and wheeling it!

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
started it and the flywheel rubbed on the separator plate, thought it was the starter at first until i realized it wasnt. went backwards today and took it all back out.

windsorv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I like it, can't wait to hear your feedback from driving and wheeling it!
thanks, its been discouraging at points. i cant wait to finish it and drive it myself. i plan on a solid axle swap before any real 4 wheeling. ill post more pics and updates :headbang: i get to start learning how to use my new welder with some rock sliders and bumpers. :icon_welder:

CountryDriven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wow this is going to be one sweet rig!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals