• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking 5 Speed Transmission!

Mader86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I have an 86 Ford Ranger with the 5 speed Toyo Koygo Mazda 5 speed transmission (2.4L engine). The transmission leaks at the point where the drive shaft enters through to the transmission spline - leaks right where the seal meets the drive shaft. I have replaced the rear output shaft seal (the one what has the rubber-like extension there at the drive shaft where I'm leaking).

I have also replace the speedo o-ring and the gasket where the shifter goes into the transmission. These two areas were identified as possible sources of the leak; perhaps simply leaking down the transmission. The transmission is in excellent shape, and shifts and performs flawlessly - it just leaks enough to splatter 80w-90 oil onto the tailpipe and the undercarriage immediately above and opposite the point where the driveshaft and tranny meet.

Is there a seal or something "upstream", perhaps inside/in front of the extension housing that I can get to and replace? I'm lost on what to replace, or if some kind of kit needs to be installed by a REAL mechanic. Thanks!

johnnybike2000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Leaking transmission

If I remember correctly, there is a bushing in the extension housing that can wear out along with the yoke of the driveshaft that fits in there. These two items can develop excessive clearances over the thousands of miles and cause an oil leak that no seal replacement can fix.

-John

Mader86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Leaking 5 Speed Transmission

Thanks - in fact, I "googled" this and found a company that sells these bushings! They appear to be two-piece, and I think I call pull that extension housing off and replace it - seems like something a shade-tree like me could do anyway. If the main shaft doesn't have too much wear, maybe this will cut off the leak.

Thanks for the comments....

steve63

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you might also wanna check the 3 rubber plugs in back of the shifter tower,the little mazda 5 sp is well known for leaking back there,you can find how to fix that in the tech library.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals