Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 09-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #1
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: stupid stuff
gwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to behold
Default Gt-12

it's september now,so i need to start planning the winter projects.among the usual stuff,i also need an indoor project as it gets dark and cold very early here.
so this is my winter evening time-burner.

it's a 1970 triumph gt6 i aquired some time ago.i was going to go full resto on it,but there are too many hard to find(expensive)original parts i would need to source.if i go hot rod,i don't need to worry about the parts all being correct.
but for power,i don't want to go with the usual over done V8,ford or otherwise.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 09-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

gwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to beholdgwaii is a splendid one to behold

so what to do?well,i also aquired this a while ago....why not introduce them to each other and see if they get along.

it's a 89 jaguar v12,very well maintained and in perfect condition.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

loading it onto it's new temporary work platform.

i hope to have it stripped to the frame before i go to bed tonight.

will see how i do.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

so far,so good.anyone in the market for a GT6 engine and trans?this one runs good.

every bolt in this thing is rusted to nothing,so the hot wrench is getting lots of use.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #5
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

there....stripped.i guess i can go to bed now.

actually,now it's time for steam cleaning.they are working on the water lines today,so i hope i can get it done before the water goes off again.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
backroad101

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT SuperCab
I use this vehicle for: 2nd vehicle / truck stuff.
backroad101 will become famous soon enough

What kinda power does the Jag V12 put out?

Old 09-02-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

depends on how they are set up-i'm expecting around 400.

as clean as it'll get for now.time to put it in the basement,and get to measureing.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #8
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

although all the car pics are from today,the engine pic was from when i first got it.this is how it looks now.

still a bit of work to do on it,but it's been run like this.can't wait to get it on the frame,and make a roller out of it.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #9
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

in it's new home for a while.fortunately the frame is pretty light,so it was a simple matter of picking it up and carrying it to the basement.the big lump behind it is a jag independent rear end,which will need to be narrowed quite a bit for this project.it's a d44 center with 3.50 gears and limited slip,and inboard disc brakes.
i'll have to see what comes up for the front suspension,but i think most will be fabricated.the gt6 parts were no where near strong enough.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
gwaii
2010 OTOTY Winner

took some measurements,and it looks like this could be interesting.

this is where the engine has to sit fore/aft on the frame.the frame looks bigger in the photo relative to the motor than it actually is.there wont be room for a radiator in front,so i'll need to come up with something else.i'm figuring two rads,laid flat one each side of the engine.still need to get more stuff together to see how much room there will be.
as for the rear end,it is 61" wide at the mounting surface.i have 55" between the wheelwells,so depending on the offset of the wheels i will need to remove at least 12" from the width of the rear.this won't leave much travel,but i don't need more than 4-5" on this thing.
the other factor in this is the wheel openings will only allow a 23" outside diameter on the tire.with 3.50 gears this will mean nasty wheelspin.not a problem to me.
the towers for the front suspension need to come off,but this is also not a problem,as they are too weak anyway.
now,time to take the sawzall to this thing and make some room to get the engine IN the frame,instead of beside it.