• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

flex fuel sensor bad, Ranger dead, bypass it?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
2000 3.0 FF 4x4 atx, 72,xxx miles.
Was crusin' down the freeway Sunday, doing a steady 70 for about 30 miles when it started bucking and loosing power. t'was totally dead in about 3 miles. It might start after 3-4 trys with 1/2 throttle, chugs with black exhaust for a few seconds then stalls. Towed it to a Ford dealer, today they determined it was the Flex Fuel sensor thats bad. $660 is the list price on the sensor, no way do I want alcohol that bad. Anybody know if it can be bypassed?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've done the flex fuel web training, but it doesn't really go into bypassing the sensor. I imagine it's certainly possible seeing as how aside from the materials used for certain parts of the fuel system, and that sensor, the flex fuel versions aren't terribly different from the G100s, as for how to go about it, that's more of an AllanD level question.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Wish I had a Helms manual for the Ranger, they usually show output voltages. I'm hoping there is a way to fake the PCM into thinking it's getting all gas. Hmmm, wonder if the 4.0 wiring and PCM are similar enough to where there is just a jumper or something to eliminate the FF sensor?? That would be handy.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
4.0 wiring and PCM are NOT similar enough to run a 3.0. The ranger 3.0 still has a snynchro drive running off the cam for spark, the 4.0 uses the CMPs. Sensors are different, and in different spots. Even if a 3.0 started up with a 4.0 computer it would run terribly.

Tomorrow night if I get time I will try to find the output voltage that shows pure gas, or better yet, E10 since that is what everyone seems to be selling these days, and let you know what I find.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
there exists a Flex Fuel Replicator, $150 + 12 shipping. they put out a digital signal that mimics the gas. you can then no longer use E85. the same part works for Taurus' too. However, with the symptoms starting out as a quick on-off loss of power and bucking, I'm more inclined to suspect the cam sync sensor. It was the local Ford dealer that says it's the FF sensor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals