• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

TREC Racer Home Made

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Trail Racing Endurance Circuit...

Previous vehicle was a 95 Grand Cherokee that is no longer...

New Vehicle...99 Ford ranger

We will go from doing this in the ZJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xaBq8UHaf4

To doing the same thing in the ranger with better results I hope.

This is what we are working with...I have performed the Chevy spring swap with a couple little differences and now its time to hang shocks.

I have 4 Fox 2.0 RR with 10" of travel. Im talking to Poly Performance and they can get me bodies and shafts to extend 2 of them to 14" for the rear...6.5" B&S for the front are 2-4 weeks out though so I need to find them sooner than later.

I have plans to assemble a tubing bender I bought last year and make a stand for it tommorow...I have 40' of 1.5" DOM thats suppused to be delivered monday. Time to make some shock hoops. I should be rowing Monday.

I will photograph what i can and show you guys how im going about doing stuff...Ill also snap a couple pictures of my version of the shackle flip

I have till April 1 to get this stuff in order...wish me luck

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I would think any full frame vehicle would do batter!

Sounds like a blast and can't wait to see some updates!

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I ment to ask if anybody has any experience with valving...Im working with Rosco Reitdorf from Rosco Racing, a 2011 KOH Finisher, and if no one chimes in were gonna start out with 30/90 and go from there. Hopefully all will work the way i want it to.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
If you have a KOH guy to help you that will be huge... they're basically required to be good with valving.

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well im a little behind schedule but I feel like ill get it done in time. My shocks parts wont ship out till monday-wednesday next week. I did go down and picked up the DOM i ordered. I think Im still gonna figure out how big of hoops I need and make them tonight. I did get the stand built for the bender today too.

That about it for now

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this looks like a fun build. I have wanted to do trec style racing. I just dont have a circut around here

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I didnt get any tube bent tonight, but I did take one of the many necessary steps to complete it...I feel so bad for cutting up good bedsides but it had to be done!!!

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well tonight I decided to bend a little tube...I got the first shock hoop made!

Keep in mind that bending tube is new to me.

After the first hoop I decided to make the roll-bar hoop in-case something went array...and it did. I got the passenger side made real nice and started to put the first bend in on the drivers side and started the bend on the opposite side of what I wanted...Oh well...I was able to make the second shock hoop and ill have some brace pieces left over from it.

I should be able to get Rosco over to my house to help me bend the roll-bar tomorrow. I'm gonna get him involved cause I don't wanna waste any more tube than I have to learning. I'm pretty sure I know where I went wrong but if he can show me exactly, life will be better...Until tomorrow or later...

Benny...You need to get with a local park that will after close on certian preset date make a race for you and the average joes around but also include everyone in a class period. Push it, Push it, Push it... I wasnt there for the start of our series but that was only in 2009...Push it somemore

Last edited:

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Today I was able to salvage some of the roll-bar hoop and made a front light bar to weld to the front bumper. I also cut the mounting tabs that weld to the frame. The hoops are just sitting on the tabs but i'm still another step closer.

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Got to bust out the New to me Notch Master I got last year with the bender. I pulled it out, put it in the vice, and the piece of pipe put in it and the wife came out and said lets go to Club R. See ya

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ive heard before that when the brown Santa comes...Your gonna have a good day.

Well, when i got home from picking up argon/co2, a little more tube from the supermarket, TSC, Branik for my front shock hoops and "The Parents" I found that the Brown Santa came twice!!!

Mounting tabs and window nets is what came today...

I didn't do anything with the nets today but i'm thinking tomorrow...the tabs were a different story, at least for the rear!

I got the rear shock hoops welded on fully, a tire carrier mostly made...I need to separate the uni bearing from a grand I parted out to get the hub for a mounting surface still. I got the roll bar assembled and on its legs...

Rosco from http://www.facebook.com/RoscoRacin ...Yesterday, he helped me bend the two halfs of the "The Worlds Largest Light Bar", as he called it...I see what he is saying.

Today I bent the kick back bars and then it was time to go to bed.

Once again...I have been working with the Cell Camera...Not the greatest quality but it does provide something...

Thanks for looking, Bryan

P.S...Having a Real Tube bender and Notcher is the shit...Well worth the $400 used I paid for them.

Last edited:

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I found a little ambition today. I was up uber late last night. Got the rear tire carrier put together and all it needs is paint now.

Until later

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm still knew to this but one suggestion would be to weld a plate to the frame first, then weld your tube to the plate. That will spread the forces and help prevent cracking on the frame. Of course if you tie this hoop into the cage that won't be as much of a problem.
Subscribed.
Good job so far, and good luck in your racing!

Richard

umbrobryan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I perfectly understand where you are coming from Richard...I had thought about doing that but then I got going and the plates never made it into the scheme of things...

I was considering putting some triangle braces on the feet to the frame on the 3 open sides. It all depends on how fast I end up getting stuff done.

Compared to the ZJ I was using...I feel alot better about the work I have put into the truck thus far and any positive or "food for thought" comments are welcomed

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had thought about doing that but then I got going and the plates never made it into the scheme of things...
That happens to me a lot. I try to write down a 'to do' list, but I get going and forget to write in, or look at my list. I need to slow down :icon_surprised: in order to be faster.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals