Which brand of valve cover gaskets 4.0L SOHC


Featured Build Threads

Mister G

Forum Member

Joined
Apr 9, 2024
Messages
39
Points
101
City
Missouri
Vehicle Year
2002
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2" over stock
Tire Size
33"
Need valve cover gaskets for a 2002 4.0L SOHC. Which brand are the best? Thanks.
 
I've had good luck with fel pro.

YMMV, watch for uneven tire wear.
 
Fel-Pro is usually what I use. Because of the oil leaks on 2.9 and 4.0 OHV I have a tendency to slap some gasket shellac on the gaskets, ignore the instructions, and set them tacky.
 
I must be missing something here. How would the valve-cover gaskets cause uneven tire wear?
One must always be vigilant regarding uneven tire wear.
 
Fel-Pro is usually what I use. Because of the oil leaks on 2.9 and 4.0 OHV I have a tendency to slap some gasket shellac on the gaskets, ignore the instructions, and set them tacky.

I use Aviation #3 gasket sealant. Back in the 80s the most common valve cover gasket material for the 2.6/2.8 was cork. Cork would leak after about 6 months. You could also buy what I think was a rubber composite gasket. They would leak in about a year. Except, if you were in an area with 100+ summer days, they both would leak the first summer. The 3# sealant cured that problem. Over the year I've found it cures just about any problematic leaking.

 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top