A4LD no 1st gear only in Overdrive


Featured Build Threads

Joined
Jul 17, 2026
Messages
3
Points
1
City
St Louis
State - Country
MO - USA
Vehicle Year
1990
Vehicle
Ford Ranger
Drive
2WD
Engine
2.3L
Transmission
Automatic
I bought a 1990 Ford Ranger 2.3l with an A4LD off of Facebook Marketplace and it had the normal gamut of transmission issues... After replacing the governor valve, vacuum modulator, putting a shift kit in the valve body, replacing OD solenoid (twice!) I have one issue remaining.

When I accelerate from a stop in the OD range, it is slow to accelerate. It seems like it is starting in 2nd, and I only detect 2 shifts (and TCC lockup). In D, I get much high revs, and an early shift at lower speed, what I would assume is typical for 1st gear.

What could cause this issue? I see one post over the years describing this exactly, but they pointed to the OD solenoid or the valve body sticking, both of which I have fixed. Any other ideas?
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top