• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. sebastian323

For Sale 1996 Ranger - 4.0 OHV- 4X4 Manual trans - needs cab

I am willing to sell my 4x4 ranger for someone that needs a good 4x4 frame (only has lighter surface rust, its in California) and 4x4 drivetrain. The cab is heavily dented from the roof and the bed is all mashed up. Basically good for a cab/bed swap. engine and trans are running good. Location...
  2. sebastian323

Radiator cap not working? - Pressure in coolant 24 hrs after running engine

On my 1996 4.0 OHV I recently thought I saw some coolant on my driveway (green looking oily liquid). The truck was parked on an incline for 2 weeks with the nose of the truck facing forward. And the coolant seemed to be dripping from the back of the engine. I moved the truck and parked it on...
  3. sebastian323

1996 4x4 XLT shakes excessively on bumpy roads

MY 1996 XLT shakes excessively on bumpy gravel roads when hitting bumps and holes. It almost feels as if my sedan is a smoother ride. Could my shocks be completely blown ? The worst shaking seems to be from the back and those shocks do seem to be the original ones from 1996. The front shocks...
  4. sebastian323

Fuel smell after adding gas 96 4.0 OHV - NO CEL

My 1996 4.0L OHV has a slight fuel smell after adding gas. I can smell the gas from the cabin with the windows closed. I currently do not have a CEL on. What are some common areas to check for a fuel leak. My fuel lid is tightened down good (maybe its old and not working?) How dangerous is the...
  5. sebastian323

Getting the AC running on my 1996 XLT

I have a 1996 Truck with factory AC, so I will use this thread to take some notes on how I get the system operational again and ask for advice The first step has been to inspect the various components of the system to see what works and what does not. I will divide this into a few section AC...
  6. sebastian323

Lots of play in steering system on 1996 Ranger

My 1996 Ranger 4.0 4x4 XLT, 5spd manual has a lot of play in the steering system. You can shake the wheel to the side a bit on the highway without the steering system actually reacting. What could be worn out ? Some sort of linkage ? Lost a tooth in the steering box gear ? My freinds old Nissan...
  7. sebastian323

1996 Gauge cluster light bulbs keep going loose

Hello, The gauge cluster bulbs on my 1996 XLT keep going loose. I know for a fact they are not burning out, because I have replaced the bulbs and inspected them afterward, But it seems every time I change all the bulbs and reinstall the gauge cluster, after a little while a bulb goes "out". I...
  8. sebastian323

Newest year model of seats I can swap into my 1996 ranger

Hell, I am looking for the newest model year of ranger I can swap seats into my 1996 XLT. I want to retain the current seat style which has a folding arm-rest.
  9. sebastian323

Recommended jack solution

Right now, I am carrying my spare tire in the bed of the truck (it wont fit in the spare holder section because of the custom tow hitch the previous owner added). I do not have the original jack that came with the truck and I need some sort of portable jack that can easily raise the truck when I...
  10. sebastian323

Recommended clutch for 1996 4.0 (softer clutch desired)

I may be doing the clutch soon on my 1996 ranger 4x4 5spd. I am wondering if there are any options out there that will make the clutch pedal a bit easier to depress. I will be doing the clutch as part of doing the slave cylinder to see if that fixes my stiff shifting problem. The clutch pedal is...
  11. sebastian323

ebay Aftermarket 3rd brakelight/ cargo lights

Hello all, I am considering buying one of these products: I imagine the LEDs will be much brighter for illuminating the bed, and perhaps the brake light may be brighter as well. Anyone tried them out ? How well do they hold up ?
  12. sebastian323

Can locksmiths cut a new key with just an igntion switch on newer laser cut keys

Hello, I have often taken bare ignition switches to the locksmith to have conventional keys cut for my older cars. On a newer car that has laser cut keys, can the locksmith still make a key with just a igntion switch I dismount from the vehicle , or is this very expensive and better to get a...
  13. sebastian323

Thicker oil I can run in my 1996 4.0 OHV

I am currently running 10-40 in my 1996 4.0 OHV. I am wondering what is a good thick oil I can run for engine longevity. I rarely use my truck and when I do use it is to go to the junkyard to pickup parts about 2 miles from my home or to rip around on dirt roads, so I do not care about fuel...
  14. sebastian323

Spark plug wires very stuck on spark plugs - 1996 4.0

The spark plug wires are VERY stuck on to the plugs on my 1996 XLT. The truck came from Montana so there is moderate rust on a lot of the engine parts not typical of California cars. Is there some way to break/cut the wires off ? I have only managed to change one spark plug so far
  15. sebastian323

Removing carpet - will the floor beneath be readily washable

I am thinking of pulling the carpet (its filthy and old) from my 1996 extended cab. I wonder if the floor beneath will be readily washable or if there some sort of wires I need to protect. What are the downsides of pulling the carpet ( I assume it gets colder in the cabin)
  16. sebastian323

How to remove front axles -1996 4x4 Locking Hubs?

I have a 1996 ranger manual trans, 4x4 with locking hubs. I want to remove the axles so I can pull the front diff to reseal it. I took off the hub lockers, and behind that there seem to be two nuts that have a sort of slotted drive . I imagine I need a special socket to remove these. Any idea...
  17. sebastian323

Trouble installing front spring on 1996 4x4 Ranger - is a spring compressor needed?

Hello, I am installing a set of leveling springs (+1.5 inches) on my 1996 4x4 Ranger. I currently have managed to extract the old spring. However, I am having trouble slipping the new springs in. So far I have removed the shocks, the sway bar end links, the old coil spring, and the tie rod ball...
  18. sebastian323

Swapping a 2007-2011 steering wheel into my 1996 XLT

So it appears the 2007-11 wheel will bolt up to my 1996 truck. I am wondering if the cruise control buttons/ wiring will be compatible. I read the airbag in the 2007+ trucks are double stage, and that you need to select one of the airbag stages to run in a single stage airbag older truck...
  19. sebastian323

Change clutch forks on M50D-R1 without dropping transmission - 1996 XLT

My friend recently changed the M50D-R2 clutch forks in his 1991 ford f150 by removing an access panel in the cabin. I am wondering if I can do the same on my M50D-R1 in my 1996 xlt 4x4. Also is there much difference in the floor pan between a 1996 2wd and 4x4 ranger extended cab.
  20. sebastian323

Cab swap on a 1996 4x4

I bought a rolled 4x4 1996 ranger for $550 and I am considering buying a new cab at a salvage yard or sourcing a cheap donor truck. Will the RWD extended cab of the same year bolt in ? I imagine i need to port over all the electronics and wiring from the 4x4 cab. My other option is to replace...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad