• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ebay Aftermarket 3rd brakelight/ cargo lights

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hello all,

I am considering buying one of these products:
1673311488725.png

I imagine the LEDs will be much brighter for illuminating the bed, and perhaps the brake light may be brighter as well. Anyone tried them out ? How well do they hold up ?

Kruegon

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6 Flex
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4"
Total Drop
0"
My credo
Speed Limit 70 (Chevy, Just Do Your Best)
I haven't tried it out yet. I am also getting an LED 3rd brake light. Brands and quality will always matter. I am buying mine knowing it might suck.

Biggest downfall is that the LEDs, on all I have seen, can't be replaced. So if they go out, you live with it. When enough go out, you replace the entire light. Worst part is, other LED products I have used tend to fail in comparison to traditional bulbs. At distance, say to the tailgate, LEDs will often wash out. They illuminate a larger area, and they are brighter, but lack that direct, defining light of more traditional bulbs. For me, I'm willing to accept that if it's the case. It may be functional, but I am doing it more for custom look and showy purposes.

If you get yours first, let us know how it does. I'll do the same if I get mine first.

Mike92STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245-75-16
I have one that has a row of leds for the brake light and a row for the cargo light. My only issue was I didn't have a cargo light before I installed my new 3rd brake light. I had to run a wire from the dome light for the cargo light. It works fine, I can turn the cargo light on with the same switch that turns the interior light on. It also comes on when I use the key fob to unlock the doors. Smoke colored plastic cover so it looks black when the lights are off. I've had for 2 years with no problems.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I put an led third light on my topper. It was bright enough but no idea if it was better since it was missing when i got the topper

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I haven't tried it out yet. I am also getting an LED 3rd brake light. Brands and quality will always matter. I am buying mine knowing it might suck.

Biggest downfall is that the LEDs, on all I have seen, can't be replaced. So if they go out, you live with it. When enough go out, you replace the entire light. Worst part is, other LED products I have used tend to fail in comparison to traditional bulbs. At distance, say to the tailgate, LEDs will often wash out. They illuminate a larger area, and they are brighter, but lack that direct, defining light of more traditional bulbs. For me, I'm willing to accept that if it's the case. It may be functional, but I am doing it more for custom look and showy purposes.

If you get yours first, let us know how it does. I'll do the same if I get mine first.
The LED may also use less power so you can worry less about battery drain. It MAY use less power. If the LED is bright enough or numerous enough it may use the same or more power. But LEDs will always use less power for the amount of light they put out. I also might look into making the light that comes on under the hood into an LED

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have one that has a row of leds for the brake light and a row for the cargo light. My only issue was I didn't have a cargo light before I installed my new 3rd brake light. I had to run a wire from the dome light for the cargo light. It works fine, I can turn the cargo light on with the same switch that turns the interior light on. It also comes on when I use the key fob to unlock the doors. Smoke colored plastic cover so it looks black when the lights are off. I've had for 2 years with no problems.
That's the way the factory cargo light worked. If the interior light was on, so was the cargo light.

I bought a new factory brake light housing, but used a plug-in LED instead of the standard bulb after the original bulb overheated, melted the socket, and cracked the lens on the housing that had been on the truck. The LED draws less current and runs cooler.

azfordtec.

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hello all,

I am considering buying one of these products:
View attachment 87355

I imagine the LEDs will be much brighter for illuminating the bed, and perhaps the brake light may be brighter as well. Anyone tried them out ? How well do they hold up ?
Wow thats cool

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I bought a new factory brake light housing, but used a plug-in LED instead of the standard bulb after the original bulb overheated, melted the socket, and cracked the lens on the housing that had been on the truck. The LED draws less current and runs cooler.

this had happened on a few trucks i have owned. leds work so much better in those third brake light housings and no more cracked overheated assemblies

sebastian323

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think the cargo bed light seems brighter and illuminates the whole bed quite well. The main plus will be I can run it for quite some time without worrying about battery depletion, as LEDs consume less power. The brake light, I found to be a little bit dimmer, but it looks cool. The housing seems to be of lower quality than OEM, but then again it is VERY cheap.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals