• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bit the bullet. 6x9 install

ES894x4

December 2013 STOTM
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Im not much for posting threads or how to's and I know this has been done but havent seen much posted on this swap, how to go about it, so I'll leave this for others thinking about it. I started with an 07 single cab. Time came to upgrade the stock speakers on the cheap so I got 3 way 6x8's for the back and said "hell lets go crazy, give me swords for 1000" and got 5way 6x9's for my doors. In all im in it for around $110 which would be the cost of one good set of 5x7/6x8's and for a cheap speaker upgrade I think it was worth it.

Side by side, stock 6x8 vs 6x9

new 3way 6x8 installed

BEST THING EVER. make sure you have one.

The template wil fit in several spots, I kept the lower factory edge closest to the door handle to push it as far away from the window track with the least amount of trimming.

CUTTING THE HOLE. If you have an airsaw it would be easy, but I didn't. After tracing your template onto your door take a dremel with a thin cut off wheel and score it thin.Take pliers and gently wiggle the metal back and forth, if you've scored it thin enough you can pull it out clean in one giant chunk. Smooth edges with grinding wheel.

screw your speakers

trim the 6x8 ring that goes around the grill on the door panel.

peel off the sound deadener padding around the speaker.

reinstall panel and enjoy

Overall I thought this was pretty easy, if you've ever used a dremel you could put them in in an hour or 2 depending on motivation.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals