• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Can someone help identify a clunk noise?

Sorry, I am not sure where this is coming from, so I couldn't post it in any other forum. Today I noticed a clunk for lack of a better word as I am coming to a light stop. Say for example I pull up a few feet and just lightly put on the brakes, just as the truck is about to stop I here/feel a...
  2. Should I just buy a new one? Opinions welcomed.

About this time last year I purchased a 2004 FX4, it was/had everything I wanted inlcuding a manual transmission which is not as common as I thought. Anyway, since that time it has been one problem after another, new alternator, new front shocks, new rear brakes and drums, pinion seal, axle...
  3. Replaced the pinion seal, now it hums!

I mean, fack me! I followed the directions here and elsewhere, marked the bolt and the flange, counted the turns, put it back the right number of turns and everything lined up. No leaks, but now I am getting a very very slight hum when on the throttle from the rear end. I've only driven about...
  4. Would you replace the axle shaft?

The seal where my right axle shaft slips into the diff is leaking, this means I need to pull the axle. I am thinking I should replace the axle and hub bearing while I am there. The truck has 75k on it and I replaced the left bearing a few months ago. No idea how long these axles and bearing...
  5. Help with strange shaft leak

My right side front axle/cv shaft has an oil leak, more like a weep, but there is oil there and I am not sure where it is coming from. From under the truck I can see what looks like a shaft from the dff that the CV shaft meets. Right where the CV shaft would insert into this shaft from the...
  6. Leaks Everywhere!

I noticed both my pinion seals are leaking, at the front and rear yokes to the diff and T/C, The front isn't bad, just "wet" but the rear, if I leave the truck sit for a while will drop some drops. I have the seals so I will replace the rear this weekend and the front once it actually drips...
  7. Shock Mileage?

Just wondering what sort of street mileage people are seeing from the OEM front shocks? My truck is a 2004 FX4, I purchased it used about a year ago and it has 73,xxx miles on it. No complaints from the suspension, bouncing it seems to have it come back to rest in 1 1/2 to 2 bounces, but just...
  8. Leaking axle diff seals?

Seems all my axle seals are leaking a little, rear to the TC and the rear diff and the front off the TC to the front diff at the diff. How hard are these seals to change or should I not bother? They are basically just wet now, but the front one is a bit more messy than the others.
  9. Replacing oil seal from rear axle to TC?

Is this a difficult job? Any tricks or tips? Seems mine is leaking just a little at the moment.
  10. Shaking and play in the rear end

I noticed that at certain speeds my truck shakes, it isn't in the front, and I checked everything out, the whole truck just shakes. Today I was looking things over and I pushed on the side of the truck on the bed rail just above the rear wheel and I can hear what sounds like the wheel/drum...
  11. Bad Front Bearing? How to know?

I noticed an odd vibration/rubbing type noise at certain speeds recently, I jacked up the front end on the drives side front wheel will move about an 1/8 of an inch or so if I pull on it. It isn't a bad ball joint, they aren't moving. I took the wheel off and can move the rotor back and forth...
  12. Two quick rear brake questions

First, I know this is relative to towing and hauling, but in general, what sort of mileage are some of you seeing from the rear brakes? My truck as 70k and I have no idea if the rears have ever been replaced. I purchased it used last fall and it had new pads up front. I was able to pull the...
  13. Front Diff Venting Fluid...

I noticed some gear oil all around the outside frame member on the left side and in a few other spots today, I can see fluid on the bottom of the diff, but it is not blowing back. Most of it is on the frame and it seems to be mostly concentrated to what appears to be a vent line. It looks like...
  14. Why so few Rangers for sale?

Back in September I started a search for a new to me (used) pick up as a second vehicle. I pretty much new what I wanted, somethime 2003 or newer, les than 70k miles, 6 banger, extended cab, 4wd and if I could a 5 speed, all for under $10k. This basically ruled out any clean Toyota or Nissan...
  15. Occasional stuck/bang noise when starting off...

Sorry, not sure where to post this since I am not sure what the problem is. I "think" it is the rear brake sticking, but not sure. On occasion, once a week or less, and seems to happen when it rains or is really cold, when I start the truck after sitting over night or while at work and go to...
  16. Replacing mirror glass?

Anyone know how to replace just the mirror glass? Mine has some sort of haze on it and I would like to replace just the glass part. Any tips?
  17. WTF is it with car dealers?

I mean really, when will the day come that dealers just sell honest cars at an honest price? Why do you always feel and often find like you are being bent over for a few bucks? Nevermind the ads in the paper, which are laughable when you read the fine print, but here is my story.... I had...
  18. Maybe a newb question but...

How do I know if I have a traction-loc rear or not? Specifically, on my 2004 FX4 (Level 1) I know I need 80w90 gear oil front and rear, but do I need friction modifiers and or limited slip additives in either the front or rear? And can I go ahead with Valvoline Synthetic or should I stick to...
  19. New member, couple of quick questions

Hi everyone, nice site, very very very helpful, I hope to return some of the favors one day in the info I have gotten already. Anyway, new member here from NY, just picked up a 2004 Ranger XLT, supercab 4x4 with the 4.0 and a 5 speed. Nice truck, good shape, with 64,000 miles on it. It was...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad