• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. junkfixr

Timing Chain question

Reinstalling the harmonic balancer and it wants to push the oil seal in. Is this normal? The belts align perfectly, but I'm afraid of overnighting and pushing the oil seal all the way thru the timing cover. I'm also afraid of under-tightening and ruining the new timing gear set. Either way, it...
  2. junkfixr

Desperate...

Just got my new timing chain set. Haynes gives me NO CLUE as to alignment of timing marks. All it says is crank timing mark flaces up. Which way does cam timing dot face? Do both marks (dots) face 12 o'clock, or do they face each other (cam @ 6 o'clock and crank at 12 o'clock? I've been to the...
  3. junkfixr

Clean 2.9

The engine in the red '88 4x4 turned out to be lame. We found a donor, pulled the engine and pressure washed it, then my son sealed it up with new gaskets & detailed it with engine enamel. Judging by the warranty tags glued on the freeze plugs & the lack of any sludge or carbon indicates that...
  4. junkfixr

engine removal

Pulling my 2.9 with Mitsubishi 5 speed & have questions. Are there 8 bell housing bolts, total? Can I just support the tranny and work the engine out or do I need to drop the driveshaft & loosen the trans mount to give me the flex and angle required? Hoping I can just leave the tranny in...
  5. junkfixr

timing cover

I'm getting an excessive amount of water vapor in my crankcase that would indicate a faulty head gasket issue. The (new) heads and gaskets were just installed with new bolts by a reputable mechanic. I have noticed some coolant seeping from behind the timing cover and assume this could be where...
  6. junkfixr

what makes it shift?

2.9 with an A4LD (worst of both worlds) and I assume the only thing that controls the shift points is the vac modulator. I know the torque converter has an electric lock-up, but is that computer controlled? It just recently stopped shifting into OD (1-3 shift fine) and from what I'm reading its...
  7. junkfixr

milky snot

Got an '88 2.9 that just had a set of World heads installed. I have the paperwork & warranty and they were installed by a ASE mechanic, BUT...I'm getting white snot around the pcv and breather and quite a bit in the valve covers themselves. I'm guessing head gasket but is there a chance the...
  8. junkfixr

blow-by

I just got an '88 with a 2.9. The previous owner put World heads on, crank & rod bearings. He said the bearings were .010 over and the cylinders were nicely crosshatched, leading him to believe it was recently rebuilt or a remanufactured block. The compression is good on all cylinders but if...
  9. junkfixr

88 cargo lamp

Sorry...double post. Please remove.
  10. junkfixr

88 ranger 4x4. 2.9

Not really a 2.9 question but, what activates the cargo lamp? Should it work by opening the door or with the reverse lights? Interior & reverse lights work but there's no power to cargo lamp. Needs to work to pass inspection.
  11. junkfixr

2.9 tdc

Is there an easy way to find TDC without taking a valve cover off? I need to make sure I'm not 180 degrees off & only have the flywheel mark as a reference & no timing light.
  12. junkfixr

Fpr

Anybody have a link to the diagram showing which terminal used to ground the fuel pump relay? Searched the tech articles but seem to be overlooking it. Talking about the one from diagnostic plug on an '89 Ranger. Thanks in advance.
  13. junkfixr

o2 Sensor Comment

I've been going through a phase where my son's truck would start fine, idle decent, but upon acceleration it would stall. It stuttered under midrange acceleration, but if you slammed it to the floor, it would kickdown and run like a scalded ape. Wide open throttle was the only thing that made it...
  14. junkfixr

AIT sensor

My truck is too old for Auto Zone to read the code on. I've eliminated everything except Air Charge Temp sensor and o2 sensor. It idles ok, intermittent sputter but smooths back out. It sputters and stalls under normal acceleration but if press it to wide open throttle it goes like crazy. No...
  15. junkfixr

HP Fuel Pump

I'm having issues recently that seem like fuel. Replaced in-tank pump and everything was fine for about 2 weeks. Then suddenly started losing power (stalling and sputtering) under acceleration. New FPR recently, coolant temp sensor, TFI module, tune etc., etc. I guess my question is, would the...
  16. junkfixr

Fuel Pump Quick Help Please

No power to the pump unless I jump a fused 12v to it. Tried everything, must be a wire. If I were to run power to(rig) it, where's the best place to tap into 12v ? What amp fuse ?
  17. junkfixr

Fuel Pump Issues

If the high pressure pump is not working, will the tank pump still work ? I don't hear any of the usual "whirring" or fuel returning to the tank when key is on. Question 2. If I apply 12v to the inertia switch wire, will it feed back & energize the pump(s) ? Would this also rule out a bad relay...
  18. junkfixr

New to lifting...

Well, what I did wasn't exactly a lift. I installed a helper spring ( add a leaf) on each side of my son's 87 Ranger and it took the sag out of the spring pack but it also lifted the rear 1 1/2 ot 2". Now the shocks are a bit short. Do I need to take the factory shocks off, have the auto parts...
  19. junkfixr

timing question

I set my base timing (spout out) around 10 degrees BTDC and drove the truck for a few weeks. Typical, sluggish 2.9 engine but runs super smooth. I can advance the timing just slightly a couple of degrees and it's very light on it's feet. Plenty of get up and go, smooth throughout the entire...
  20. junkfixr

another power lock post...

I just got an '01 Explorer cheap as the PO had swiped a sign down the side of the truck, broke a headlight,wrinkled the fender, broke the mirror off... all stuff i can fix fairly easily. The worst issue that I've found so far is that the power locks are not so good. I degreased the one on the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad