• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by HankG

1. Tips for getting the brake drum off?

Hi, I'm trying to get my drums off for the first time (did a free check when I first got the truck but that was a long time ago), and I'm stuck. I've been googling, I have all the instructions for what I'm supposed to do, but I can't get it to work. It's a 1996 ranger with, iirc, a limited...
  2. Can I get away with using gear oil instead of ATF in my '96 Ranger?

I got my truck up on the ramps, took out the fill plug, grabbed the gear oil, and then remembered that these things take ATF. It's a 96 with 4.0L engine and 5 speed transmission. Since it is a manual, can I get away with using gear oil even though it calls for ATF? If it matters, I'm not...
  3. Would a dead speed sensor cause other problems?

My truck is a 1996 2WD extra cab ranger with the 4.0L engine and 5 speed manual. My speed sensor has been going out for a while on my truck, the speedometer intermittently starts flopping around between zero and my actual speed. Today it was even worse than usual and the check engine light...
  4. Is the 94 3.0L 5 speed the same as the 4.0L 5 speed?

Wikipedia only lists the M5OD-R1 for all 5 speeds of that generation, so are they the same regardless of engine? There's a guy on craigslist selling a whole 94 Ranger for $300, but it has a 3.0L. Could I use the transmission from that truck for my 4.0L engine?
  5. Very basic transmission rebuild question.

My truck has the m5OD and it isn't in very good shape. Hard to shift into second, fourth grinds every time, reverse grinds sometimes. This is after I refilled the transmission with one quart ATF then as much Lucas as it'd take, which did improve it slightly. When I was replacing the...
  6. Is there a difference in sound between two boxes and one two hole box?

Decided to go with speaker boxes in the back since the stock mounting location doesn't look like it'll work at this point. Planning on 6x9s all around since I won't be running a sub. My question is whether there is a difference in sound quality between running two separate boxes or one large...
  7. Cheap tailgate lock?

Scored a great deal on an Access Limited tonneau on ebay and would like to be able to lock the tailgate to have some security for the bed. However, the manual locks are $40+ and the power even higher. Is there any way to do this on the cheap? Is there a year ranger that has locking tailgates...
  8. Is my amp dead?

My brother gave me an amp he got used and never tested, and it looks kind of old and is a no-name brand, so it's entirely possible that it's dead, but as I know sadly little about electronics, I thought I'd ask you guys. Using the test light, I know there is power going to it and that the...
  9. Where is the stock amplifier?

I'm starting to look into head units and need to see if I have a factory amplifier or not. On a related note. is this actually necessary? What happens if I don't get one? Will the stock amp just not do anything?
  10. What are the side bulbs in the third brake light?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I'm stumped. In the third brake light, the brake light comes on when I hit the brakes, but nothing seems to turn on the two side bulbs. When are they supposed to come on? I've been looking through ALLDATA trying to get an answer, and while the diagram for the...
  11. Dome light won't turn off.

The dome light in my truck won't turn off. I tried cleaning the switch contacts with a q-tip and isopropyl, but no improvement. All three lights stay on in all three positions of the switch. If I put the switch between positions, it will turn off the light closest to that position, but leave...
  12. Having a problem with automatic power steering flush.

The problem, of course, being that I have one. For some reason, my power steering seems to like to go pop, spraying ATF over just about everything near it in the engine bay and hood. I'm not positive what the situation is that is causing it. I think the first time it did it while I was...
  13. Does the timing chain ever need to be replaced?

I just bought a truck with zero vehicle history and want to get everything up to date to avoid any future problems. I've been looking around and can't find a definite answer on whether or not the timing chain will last forever or if it needs to be changed. I looked through the maintenance...
  14. Finally a Ranger owner.

Purchased my first Ranger today, which is also my first Ford. It's a 2WD 1996 xlt extra cab, power windows, locks, steering, seats, cruise control, and air conditioning. Has 170k on it. Also comes with a Snug Top camper shell. Has the 4.0L engine with a 5 speed transmission. Paid $650 for...
  15. What would you offer for this truck?

I've been looking for a truck for months now, and when this one was first posted, I was hopeful. I emailed the seller but unfortunately it turned out that the truck was the absolute base model. It has no options at all. I thanked him for the response but said I was looking for a truck with...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad