• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 1988 2.9 rough idle, lots of smoke from exhaust.

I have a 1988 ranger, it's got the 2.9l engine. It has been sitting for probably 8-12 years. After replacing pretty much all of the fuel system parts (both fuel pumps, file filter, fuel tank, professional injector cleaning) I was able to get it to start. It does start up pretty quick, and it...
  2. 1988 fuel gauge not working

As the title states..fuel gauge is not working. It's a 1988 XLT 2.9l. it has dual fuel tanks. Last year I replaced the front tank with the bigger 17gal(I couldn't find a 14.5gal), I also replaced the sending unit and the high pressure pump. I put around 4 gallons in the gas tank and my fuel...
  3. Holes in bed corners

I just took off the canopy that's been on the ranger for it's lifetime (1988). There are holes in each corner of the bed on the sides that I didn't see before cause the canopy was sitting on them..I can tell there suppose to be there, but why? Should I worry about stuff getting stuck in them or...
  4. Metal grinding type sound at 3200 RMPs

Hey so as the title states, my ranger makes a weird grinding type sound at 3200 RPM's. It sounds like the sound is coming from the transmission area or the rear of the engine. It happens in park, neutral, and drive, I'm not certain if it makes the sound in reverse cause I never need the engine...
  5. Having brake issues and burning oil

I finally got my 1988 ranger running, there are a couple problems I'm now having.. The most notable problem, the brakes are having issues..it's worth noting this truck hasn't been driven in probably over 10 years. Anyways, it feels like the brakes aren't disengaging completely, I can definitely...
  6. Violent shaking around 1100 rpm

I've noticed my ranger (1988 XLT super cab 2wd 2.9l v6) shakes the truck a lot when it idles around 1100, sometimes the idle speed goes down to 900 and it feels smooth but when RPM's are between 1100-1600, it vibrates a lot, if the hood is open the hood very noticeably shakes and you can see the...
  7. How to remove fuel injectors?

It's time I get the fuel injectors on my 2.9l V6 cleaned..how do I remove to fuel injectors to get them cleaned..do I need to remove the intake manifold? Thanks in advance
  8. What fuel tanks on 88 ranger with dual tanks?

Both fuel tanks have rust in them. I think it's better to replace them cause before this, the truck has been sitting with both tanks full of gas for 14 years..I'm having troubling finding the right fuel tank. The book says the front fuel tank is 14.5 gallons and the rear is 13 gallons but all I...
  9. fuel pump problems

I'm having problems with fuel getting to the engine(2.9l v6) on my 1988 ford ranger, I just got the truck a few weeks ago, it has been sitting for 14 years before that. I checked the relays, not sure which one is for the fuel pump but all of them make the click sound so I'm assuming they're...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad