• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

fuel pump problems

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having problems with fuel getting to the engine(2.9l v6) on my 1988 ford ranger, I just got the truck a few weeks ago, it has been sitting for 14 years before that. I checked the relays, not sure which one is for the fuel pump but all of them make the click sound so I'm assuming they're fine. I also checked the fuse and it was fine. I then thought of the inertia switch, the windshield had a water leak before I got it fixed, and water could've damaged the switch.. so I bypassed the switch and then I hear a short buzzing (less than a second) under the driver door. this buzzing only happens when I switch from the rear and front fuel tank so I assume this is the fuel selector valve making the noise. so I found one of the problems that for now can be bypassed, but still I don't hear any of the actual fuel pumps buzzing. so I'm guessing they just aren't getting power or even less unlikely all of the pumps are just dead. does anyone have suggestions of what to check next to find the problem?

I appreciate any responses.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
Setting for 14 years? Have you drained any old fuel out? You don’t want to pump that old fuel into your system. If the tanks are steel you may also likely have solids from corrosion in the tank that may block the screen on the pickup tube. You can use the EEC test port to trigger the fuel pump relay. This will make the pumps run constantly with the key on assuming the inertia switch is working or bypassed. The EEC test port is by the relays. It may have a cap saying EEC test or the cap may be gone. With key on jumper the appropriate connections. This will trigger the relay and the pumps should run.
838AEB4D-38D3-4F1D-B37D-6045DA0CC13E.jpeg
EB5D52FC-CD0F-4AFD-A4CE-4C1C03C2F1F0.jpeg
881DE3EB-EA32-4553-A4C4-C51D391CFA29.jpeg

If you don’t hear the relay click on then your relay may be bad. If it does click then the pumps should come on. If they don’t then they may be bad or you may have damaged wires.

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Yes i did siphon the fuel out, it was very red in color. for the EEC test, do I just plug that into the fuel pump relay or do I need a special tool? and if it does click but fuel pump doesn't run, do you know where I can find wiring diagrams for the fuel system so I can check the wires before I try replacing the pumps?
Thanks.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
The only special tool you need is a piece of wire. The EEC port is a test port for the electronic engine control. Take a piece of wire and strip 1/2” off the ends. The diagram I sent points out the connections on the EEC test port. The second sentence states how to jumper for fuel pump test. Put one end of wire in computer test ground and the other end in the fuel pump test port. The tech library has all the wire diagrams
Look under 83 thru 91 engine controls sub section 2.9 electronic engine controls 1 of 3. Fuel delivery will be there.

Last edited:

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Oh okay, before you responded I looked it up and ran a test by sticking a wire in position 2(malfunction indicator light) and into the sti ground port, then a light tester hooked to the battery and position 4(check engine light, computer). it gave codes 21 and 24 I don't think those were very relevant though because the engine isn't warm. I'll have to give it a try with the fuel pump test port to see if the relays working and check the pump's. I did briefly look at some of the wiring for the pumps, at least the wires inside the frame channel and all that looked fine so its likely the fuel pumps are dead from sitting for so long. thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If the fuel was very red, then mostly thats rust from your metal tank. Ethanol separates and forms water. My Gremlin had a metal tank. That's why new tanks are plastic.
Most likely the pickup screen is clogged with jelly.
And you fuel lines are clogged with jelly too. Check the fuel filter for jelly too.
Its not that difficult to pull your bed off by yourself and check/change them. I just did mine last week on a '94.
And your filler tube has probably rotted as well. If its not too bad you can fix them with Ultra-Black.

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
the screen could be clogged but I don't imagine that would make the pumps stop working all together. I was planning on replacing the fuel pump anyways. also it is dual tanks so I have the 14.5 gal and 13 gal aux tanks. ideally I don't want to replace two tanks and the pumps, is there a way to clean them enough to be usable? or should I just replace them. thanks for your response.

helpme

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think I'd pull the fuel filter first. See what you've got there. See if its clogged with jelly. Fourteen years is a long time. That's also a convenient point to blow out your fuel lines with compressed air.
If you plan to pull off your bed, I'd start spraying the bolts (from underneath). It may take a few sprayings over a period of days to loosen them up. Especially in an area that uses salt on the roads in the winter.
Your fuel system needs some serious TLC!

matt12305

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 2WD 2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, there was a break in the rainy weather so I started looking at the truck again.
I managed to get the bed off and take off the fuel pump and like you expected, rust..lots of rust, on the pump in the tank. the outside of the tank doesnt appear rusty so i dont think it would cause problems with holes or anything..is it better to attempt to clean the tank?(if so, how?) or is it better to just replace it?
Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals