• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results for query: transmission swap

1. RustRatz

Transmission Swap questions

My old transmission tag reads 97GT KCA 1 06 K 21 New transmission reads 97GT KFA 2 07. D 10 Is there a difference between the two? New one came out of an explorer and old one is original to the truck
  2. 351 or 302 mods for Tri-y headers for AOD

My welds arent near perfect but good enough for the life span of these $99 eBay stainless try-y headers for a 65-66 Mustang. I’m building a 351 AOD 2WD Sport Ranger and was hopeful the wider 351 would allow the headers to clear. It did not. Starter fits fine, the collector hit the transmission...
  3. 1995 4.0 missfire

Thanks, I am using a 95 Explorer but this is useful info, where can I get diagrams like that? the EVTM?
  4. 1995 4.0 missfire

I took a wild guess that you had a 1999 explorer swap with the 4R70W transmission. Here are some diagrams. One of them shows a transmission switch. Another shows the digital range switch and it does have a resistor in it.
  5. SenorNoob

1990 Ford ranger 2.9 V6 manual clutch

8-7/8 O'Reilly's 88 2.9 Clutch Kit The only way that I am aware of to have another size is the 4.0 flywheel swap. That means swapping the starter too. Which is designed to work differently...
  6. TimWick

1988 Ranger XLT 302 5.0 AOD Carb Swap, Ol’ Dirty Blue

Hey all, Haven’t been posting many updates lately. I had it running but couldn’t figure out an overheating issue. Did both a radiator flush and a head gasket fix that didn’t fix the issue. Ended up having to pull the head and found out the head gasket was toast in cylinder one. I did get...
  7. 1997 Ranger engine swap

@don4331 I really appreciate your thoughts. You're exactly right, to me this truck is a platform for growing my skills, so starting out with, can I get the current engine (2.4) to run; after that moving on to a different engine but not a true 'custom'. Like you said, since the 4.0 was an option...
  8. 1997 Ranger engine swap

While @RonD might consider swapping 2.3 for 4.0 a labour of love; I consider it a great learning experience for a neophite. You learn all about pulling transmission, pulling engine, wiring, rerouting intake & exhaust with something you can always look at what the factory did. And maybe you do...
  9. Fiveowen

‘88 ranger 5.0 swap 4x4 transmission blew (help needed)

Thank you, maybe my tach and Speedo are off from the last guy who did the swap, but 77 at 2500 sounds perfectly fine for me thank you I would not want to be in that thing at 96mph either LOL I think im gonna go the m5r2 route I’ll update this thread with some pics when its done thank you
  10. Fiveowen

‘88 ranger 5.0 swap 4x4 transmission blew (help needed)

The Mitsubishi fm146 blew in my ranger this weekend… I cannot find another one to replace it for the life of me… I’m looking into swap options. I heard that the Mazda transmissions can get tight but I have a 3 inch body lift I’m sure that’d help a little bit. I would like to retain 4x4 as well...
  11. 1997 Ranger engine swap

Swapping engine sizes in Computer controlled vehicles is the same work regardless of new engine size Need engine and transmission Computer for that engine size and its wiring harness Splicing in 12v and ground, harness's are never quite plug and play, lol Exhaust Now since you can buy a 1997...
  12. 1997 Ranger engine swap

I recently got 1997 Ranger with a 2.3L and a manual transmission. I was thinking about updating the engine to the 4.0 L V6 for a bit more power. I also thought that since it was one of the stock options, the swap would be more straight forward then going with a 302 block. Would that be the case...
  13. bhgl

Mazda's 2.5L Skyactiv-G Engine (PY-VPS), an ideal candidate for 3rd Gen Rangers, in theory.

Preface: The feasibility of an engine swap is in my opinion the single biggest factor as to what makes it a "good" candidate. Plenty of folks on the forum here, and elsewhere have swapped in 5.0s from Explorers v8s, Volkswagen TDI engines, among the notables, and those do make some of the best...
  14. Help identifying engine year

Ok thank you. Yes my ranger is a 93 3.0
  15. stmitch

Since the Barra is becoming available in the US

The 5.0 swap is popular into Rangers because they came from the factory in Explorers, so it's more or less a bolt in affair with the right year donor/recipient. A Barra swap would be the complete opposite. Tons of custom work. Transmission, PCM, mounts, cooling system, exhaust, etc all custom...
  16. mtnrgr

Help identifying engine year

It's definitely a 4.0 as others have said. Apparently it was removed from a 94 ranger, that is a 91-94 4.0..can tell from the upper intake manifold. Looking at the front accessories, it most likely came from a 93-94 ranger or explorer. The transmission is an automatic with the torque...
  17. jballard81

Another A4LD thread

this is 100% where I'm at 😂. Not another dime until I know where I'm at with the transmission. Then I'll go from there. Hope to have some time tomorrow to get it slapped back together
  18. lil_Blue_Ford

MAB3L, the most reasonable truck on the road!

Yeah, the upper control arm ball joint and the bump stops will be a problem before you need different keys. An inline motor would certainly make things easier than dealing with fitting a pump in the tight engine bay. Odometers in the 98+ trucks were run off the ABS sensor in the rear axle. The...
  19. Shran

Another A4LD thread

I think you will just have to determine what amount in your mind is too much to spend. Burnt fluid & slipping do not give me warm fuzzy feelings about solving anything with a shift kit or even a new VB - and that is probably another $450+ worth of parts, gaskets, fluid, etc. The mystery here...
  20. bhgl

MAB3L, the most reasonable truck on the road!

Thank you so much for the info, getting knowledge from folks like yourself For the keys: How much of a drop were you able to achieve just by backing things out to the limit? I'm not looking for anything more than 1.5-2 inches, if that can be achieved WITHOUT a trip to the junkyard all the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad